How long can I store oil?

Collecting, filtering and dewatering of WVO SVO vegetable oil. For Biodiesel producers too.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

How long can I store oil?

Postby vernstick » Wed May 05, 2010 12:12 pm

Kinda got into this for runnin my DD 2-71 genset on WVO. I've collected prob a couple of hundred gallons, and stored them in those dark blue plastic barrels. How long can I store this stuff? What's the downside of storing it too long?
vernstick

Postby SunWizard » Wed May 05, 2010 7:45 pm

It polymerizes after a time, which can plug filters and in extreme cases damage engine parts. It varies from 0 months (bad when collected,) to a few years, depends on the type of oil, whether its clean and dewatered, how much it was used and abused, how much air space in barrels, how long it sat outside at a restaurant barrel open to air, what was cooked in it. See this thread:
http://www.burnveg.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=40
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby vernstick » Thu May 06, 2010 5:14 am

So the first sign would be filters plugging quickly? I guess I need to start burning this stuff. The idea was to store the oil for power outages, which happens frequently here. I really enjoy your site, kudos for the great info here thanks!!
vernstick

Postby John Galt » Thu May 06, 2010 8:13 pm

So the first sign would be filters plugging quickly?

No, the first sign will be a 'paint thinner' smell in the drum of oil.
Until then don't worry as long as you're absolutely sure the oil is dry by testing it for moisture content.
John Galt

Postby SunWizard » Fri May 07, 2010 12:09 pm

John Galt wrote:No, the first sign will be a 'paint thinner' smell in the drum of oil.

Note that a paint smell will only be for the first few seconds after you open a barrel that has been sealed for a while. A vomit or other nasty bacteria smell also indicates something wrong.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby vernstick » Sat May 08, 2010 9:05 pm

so...that oil should not be used? I can't centrifuge it, or blend it?

I guess I should get ready to dump a lot of it. My first collection point was a chinese resteraunt, it is the majority of the stored oil. It smelled bad when I picked it up, and that was a long time ago. I guess I should dump all my oil and start from scratch, build some kind of heated dewater tank and buy one of those fancy centrifuges, like the one at simplecentrifuge.com. It seemed pretty high quality, and I'd like to start burnin some WVO instead of diesel. I started with my DD 2-71 genset, it's so bulletproof with the 2 stroke design. I would just filter the oil thru a few bedsheets. I've got 4 diesel powered items, but I'm gunshy about it till I know a little more. Any advice is appreciated.
vernstick

Postby SunWizard » Sun May 09, 2010 9:54 am

vernstick wrote:so...that oil should not be used? I can't centrifuge it, or blend it?

Too many variables to answer that, and "it smelled bad" is vague. You can burn very nasty VO in most engines, and how much it shortened the engines life is hard to guess over the internet. A hot pan test for water is the most important thing you can do that you haven't mentioned.

A 2 stroke design isn't bulletproof for VO, its worse, since more VO can get past the rings and coke them or cause the lube oil to poly.

Bedsheets won't filter well enough.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby vernstick » Sun May 09, 2010 11:25 am

Well, on that 2-71 2 stroker I've been using a 2 tank system, basically starting it on diesel and switching to WVO when it got hot. I also plumbed a transmission oil cooler off a mercruiser boat in the between the radiator and the engine to heat the WVO (vs cooling trans oil). If I get the engine hot first and heat the WVO, does that not prevent the polymerization?

Now i'm confused.
vernstick

Postby vernstick » Sun May 09, 2010 11:28 am

SunWizard wrote:
vernstick wrote:so...that oil should not be used? I can't centrifuge it, or blend it?

A 2 stroke design isn't bulletproof for VO, its worse, since more VO can get past the rings and coke them or cause the lube oil to poly.

Bedsheets won't filter well enough.

Why is that? rings are rings, 2 stroke or 4 stroke. I should also mention I installed a 2 micron racor filter before the WVO heat exchanger and injectors. I wound up clogging it tryin to get the last of the diesel out of a 5 gal jug, and sucked up some gunk from the bottom and plugged the filter.
vernstick

Postby SunWizard » Sun May 09, 2010 4:17 pm

Search on "wet stacking". Its worse on 2 strokes, and worse on generators since they often run at less than 40% of full load. You can help avoid it by running near full load as often as you can.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Return to Vegetable oil Collecting, Filtering and Dewatering