Using Stock Mechanical Lift Pump Questions

For discussing the modifications needed for diesel vehicles to run with 2 tank veggie oil conversions.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Postby every1elsesdoinit » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:10 pm

So CGoodwin at frybrid let me in on a little knowledge: the hydraforce valves let enough air through that both the vo and the diesel lines have to be primed. So I just pulled all of the veggie lines, replumbed it so that the diesel lines skipped the valves and started it up. Wouldn't have really been a problem except I didn't plan the conversion that well and was stuck in a driveway of a house that we were moving out of. Everyone was really nice about it though.
Next step: get some biodiesel to prime through the lines, wire the valves, re-plumb everything, prime and get on my way!

Thanks!
West Coast
1991 Ford B600 Schoolbus
6.6L Turbodiesel running on 2 tank VO
Hotfox pickup, TIH fuel line, coolant wrapped filter, 26 plate FPHE, temp and pressure sensors

You all are lifesavers
every1elsesdoinit

Postby strokercummins » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:01 pm

Good afternoon

I just finished writing a 3 1/2 page article on the Cummins fuel system and lift pump. This valuable information is based on hundreds of tests and 14 months of work. This article is number one in a six part series. I thought this would be of interest to the forum. Feel free to post the link, publish it, or share with your diesel friends. I want to get this information into the hands of 4 x 4 users, diesel performance enthusiasts, veg converters and truck owners.

Best regards,

Rob Parelli Sr
Tork Teknology

This is the link to article number one http://torkteknology.com/news.php?newsid=5
strokercummins

Postby every1elsesdoinit » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:23 pm

So I took it for the first good test ride the other day. About an hour out and then an hour back. No problems on switchover--so smooth that I wasn't sure at first that I had switched over. The engine does get a bit quieter. I had heard that VO can affect the timing (slows it?) and that my particular engine runs a bit smoother on that timing. I have a temp sensor right before the IP and i was above 160 the whole time (of course this was after i replumbed all the coolant--a bit of advice: make sure you know the coolant flow BEFORE you set up all the tubing. At least for me I needed to have the coolant coming straight off the engine before hitting the FPHE). I do have a little coolant drip seeping through the threads on the FPHE (i've had terrible luck with sealing that), but otherwise everything is good.
So It looks like im ready for the road trip! I'll post to the completed vehicles database when i get to california.

woohoo!!
West Coast
1991 Ford B600 Schoolbus
Hotfox pickup, TIH fuel line, coolant wrapped filter, 26 plate FPHE, temp and pressure sensors

You all are lifesavers
every1elsesdoinit

Postby SunWizard » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:17 pm

Congratulations!
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby every1elsesdoinit » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:07 pm

Drove from Boulder/Denver, CO to Los Angeles last monday on less than 10 gallons of diesel!!
No problems really at all with the VO system. I did accidentally run the VO lines dry once (i don't have a fuel gauge and my fuel pickup is a little high so I have to leave ~5 gallons of oil in the tank or it will suck air), but when i started to lose power I immediately switched back to diesel and pulled over, refilled the VO tank and was on my way!
I'm going to review what exactly i ended up burning, but my initial estimates are that i drove maybe 1000-1100 miles and burned about 100 gallons of VO and less than 10 gallons of diesel. ~10MPG is basically what i was hoping to get so it worked out pretty well. I was able to keep the fuel above 160 pretty easily, and in the nevada desert i was getting close to 200, but I wasn't getting anywhere close enough to overheat the engine going up pretty steep long hills in the 90's(F).
All in all a pretty good success. I even took four other craigslist rideshares who each paid me $50 which was enough to cover the $1.50 i ended up having to pay for oil because I couldn't get my filtration system together.
Ok im going to stop blathering and go post in the filtration section about mobile heating and settling. Thoughts?
West Coast
1991 Ford B600 Schoolbus

You all are lifesavers
every1elsesdoinit

Previous

Return to 2 Tank veggie oil conversion and General discussion