Hi All

If new, go here first. Beginner questions, Forum help, suggestions and more FAQ.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Hi All

Postby zaca33 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:46 am

Hello everyone. I am the proud new owner of a W123 Mercedes. It's a 300D body, but the previous owner put in a turbo engine. The previous owner also began installing a greasecar kit. He got it to the point where I now need to run the fuel lines and wire it all up.

I am completely new to diesels. It sounds like there is a ticking coming from the engine. On a gas powered car I think i might be concerned, but I'm not sure if that's just the way its supposed to sound. I was going to make a video and post a link a little later, maybe someone would be able to tell me.
It does sound and awful lot like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17uvOOEV4gA&feature=related

I'm sure I'll be here a lot as I try and get her up and running!

Thanks guys
1979 W123 Mercedes 300D body and 300TD engine
zaca33

Postby SunWizard » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:42 am

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Yes those engines tick, since they have solid lifters. You are supposed to check and adjust them every 10k miles. More modern engines have hydraulic lifters which make them much quieter and never need adjusting.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby coachgeo » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:22 pm

yep... that is a diesel sound. Even the newer quit ones have that same rhythmic tick... just less audible.

In fact those who really understand the science behind a diesel engine say that tick is important... it means the fuel ignition point is at the right place. Veg. Oil ignites at a different time and makes the engine more quiet BUT... it is suggest that after you install a veg oil system and all is running well.. then retard the timing a little in order to make the engine start ticking again when on Veg. oil. When your done the sound will be similar to what it was before. This adjusted timing change is said to better match the engine's ignition timing to the ignition characteristics of vegoil fuel ignition points.

This is just a guess by try searching for more info using keywords:

300D, timing, Veg

Of course if your not going to use veg oil much... then keep it timed for diesel.

Most folk dont do this step. It wont harm your engine not too.... but the science of it indicates your engine will just not be as efficient as it could be.
Life; It's all in the Balance

coachgeo

Postby zaca33 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:41 pm

Oh, well that's a relief then. thanks for the replies. I've got to finish up another couple projects and then I'm going to jump right in on hooking up the veg. Still haven't heard back from greasecar about getting some sort of installation instructions or at least a basic parts list so I can figure out whats what. I've got to figure out where the guy before me got to.
1979 W123 Mercedes 300D body and 300TD engine
zaca33

Postby coachgeo » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:29 pm

SunWizard wrote:Hi and welcome to the forum.

Yes those engines tick, ..
Sun did you change the timing any on either of your veg vehicles?
Life; It's all in the Balance

coachgeo

Postby SunWizard » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:34 pm

coachgeo wrote:Sun did you change the timing any on either of your veg vehicles?

No.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Return to Beginners section and FAQ