What am I pouring in my tank??

Collecting, filtering and dewatering of WVO SVO vegetable oil. For Biodiesel producers too.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Postby John Galt » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:27 pm

How do other people solve this??
Most add a coolant heated FPHE to heat the VO to at least 80°C.
John Galt

Postby othello » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:19 am

[quote="John Galt"][quote]How do other people solve this? [/quote]Most add a coolant heated FPHE to heat the VO to at least 80°C.[/quote]

Well, I looked up the meaning of this abbreviation and can only guess that this would go in the tank?!?!

I did like SunWizard's idea of measuring the temp of the grease just before it enters the fuel injection pump, just to know exactly how hot the grease is.
If I understand your suggestion properly that would not afford me that information, or would it??
othello

Postby John Galt » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:10 pm

Most add a coolant heated FPHE to heat the VO to at least 80°C.
Well, I looked up the meaning of this abbreviation and can only guess that this would go in the tank?
I wouldn't do that. I added a FPHE between the fuel feed pump and the fuel filter just before the IP
John Galt

Re: PHO, UVO and UFO's

Postby othello » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:58 pm

[quote]After SunWizard explained PHO I am trying to guess what UVO could mean.[/quote]

And John, thanks for your explanation.

After less than desirable results with my oil, in spite of careful efforts, I took my last 3 grease filters out of the car, forensically opened them and tried to see what lead to their early demise.

Unfortunately I did not really get an answer. They sit in a jar with clear alcohol and have clouded the solution in a very minor way, nothing like I would expect given the performance.

Which leads me to the question in what fashion does this oil, which I may have gotten a bit of, clog filters. Is it a temperature effect as SunWizard seems to indicate? My Mercedes runs nice and toasty at above 80 C, so one would expect the oil to be liquid.
Or is it that they oil contains more particulate matter, my test does not seem to indicate this.

And yes, I do a hot pan test which to me, unexperienced as I am, seems to be ok. On occasion there is, if viewed in the right light, a slight pertubation of the oil surface, what appears to be possibly a microscopic bursting of water, no popping or otherwise obvious signs of water.[/quote]

Ok, a few month have passed, after these bad results I got in May I installed a temp gauge which confirmed that the greasecar set-up does not necessarily properly heat the oil, and then I got myself a heat exchanger and placed it before the heated grease filter of the greasecar set-up.

Now the temperature goes up much faster and it reaches, depending on weather, up to 180 degrees F.

I drove the car and wondered if after 400 to 600 miles I would have to change the filter again. This didn't happen and the car ran great and no filter problems for 1200, 1500 even 2000 miles.
At that point I got worried.
This result is many times the distance I got out of my old set-up and I wondered if the higher temperature might have destroyed the filter and I was getting such good results because the filter had failed, or something like that.
So at 2100 miles I changed the filter and opened the old one. It clouds my washing solution a bit more than it did after only 400 miles, but nothing too bad, and the filter was entirely ok and functional.

Which means that by increasing the temperature and changing nothing else I have now a filter life many times of what I achieved before.
I have to admit that I did not anticipate such a dramatic result from a change in temperature, but there we have it.
othello

Postby coachgeo » Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:02 pm

Congratulations on your success and thank you for keeping us updated.

PHO= Partially Hydrogentated (vegitable) oil. Most all resturant cooking oil is PHO.

FPHE= Flat plate heat exchanger.

I believe there is a Glossery thread in there.

Othello; are you using a word processor to write your material then pasting it into here? your quotes are all messed up and Im guessing it is due to hidden code that a word processor adds for margins, spacing etc.
Life; It's all in the Balance

coachgeo

Postby SunWizard » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:06 am

coachgeo wrote:I believe there is a Glossery thread in there.

I gave him a link to that thread back on page 1.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Vegetable oil Collecting, Filtering and Dewatering