Cummins Air Leak?

For discussing the modifications needed for diesel vehicles to run with 2 tank veggie oil conversions.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Cummins Air Leak?

Postby sonofthesun » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:18 pm

Hey Sunwizard. Setup a new tank, exactly like your tank. I have the exact setup you have now. Somewhere i have a leak. I think....

So my truck runs well on the diesel side, no problems. I then switch the tanks from diesel tank to the veggie tank. After about 3 minutes the truck starts sputtering and dies. Just like an air leak.

I can't see any fuel dripping anywhere. I've replaced the tube in hose with a fresh hose to make sure that wasn't cracked and leaking.

I've checked all my hose clamps that I can reach and nothing seems to be loose.

Any ideas or ways of pointing me in the direction of the leak? Is it an air leak for sure?

Thanks again for all your help over the past year. It's time for me to take a road trip on veggie. I'm willing to take apart the whole system again to find the leak if I need to. I'm just about Boulder too, so maybe we can meet up sometime.
sonofthesun

Postby SunWizard » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:32 pm

It sounds like more than an air leak, that wouldn't cause it to die that quickly.

It could also be a plugged filter, or a valve is broke or isn't in the right position. Do you have a fuel pressure guage? It would show if its any of those things.

An inline clear strainer from any auto parts store before the IP and moved around would show if its air and where its coming from.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby sonofthesun » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:02 pm

it can't be the filter unless there's massive amounts of fats clogging the veggie side.

i've got diesel in the veggie tank so it should be runnin okay. i'll install that lookin glass filter tomarrow and see what i can find.

i'm almost positive i have the valves pointin in the right direction.

are the bubbles pretty easy to spot with the glass filter?

thanks again
sonofthesun

Postby SunWizard » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:55 am

sonofthesun wrote:are the bubbles pretty easy to spot with the glass filter?

Yes. Get an oil pressure guage, ~$10 at any auto parts store.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Return to 2 Tank veggie oil conversion and General discussion