How is the VO market?

For discussing the modifications needed for diesel vehicles to run with 2 tank veggie oil conversions.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

How is the VO market?

Postby tinworm » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:36 pm

is there still interest? It seems like the detonation of DFA, and disappearance of lots of the smaller operations is ominous. From the standpoint of oil, I guess that means more for those of use who collect.

Do you think there will be a resurgence of interest?
tinworm

Postby John Galt » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:22 pm

I guess that means more for those of use who collect.
Yes

Do you think there will be a resurgence of interest?
Whenever diesel fuel is more than $4 per gallon US.
John Galt

Postby David » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:20 am

Discussion on local forums here has gone more from " where do I find oil?" To "Anyone want this pile of excess oil I have?"

There will be a resurgence of interest spurred on by the media to attract attention to dodgy reports with promises of people saving money when the price of Petro fuels go up again.

These reports will play along side of the fear mongering that was headlined every day a couple of years back about the world running out of oil.
I haven't seen a single media report on that for at least a year now so they must have discovered a bunch of new wells and the problem is solved! :roll:

I'll be real careful as to the information I give to the Johnny come lately at the next Veg fuels leap to prominence as 99% of the people that happened along last time have now disappeared as fast as they came along.

I don't give a damn about what might or could happen until a significant group of people can tell me it HAS happened to them.
Until then, it's just more endless gloom and doom Veg folk law.
David

Postby John Galt » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:30 pm

Those who get into VO fuel just to save money, soon realize that there are a lot easier ways to save money, and their interest quickly wanes.
John Galt

Postby David » Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:44 am

When I first got into Veg, I was soundly lambasted for my admittance that I was in it for economical reasons and given big helpings of the Green bandwagon brainwashing as to how I should be thinking.

As I was just saying to a friend yesterday as I was helping him with a 1500L batch of Bio, the irony here is that the group of veggers and bio makers we all know and stay in touch with whom are all long termers, and regarded as the most knowledgeable people on the subject here all do primarily it for economic reasons.

We are still all at it when the bleeding hearts that went on with their "Save the world rants" have long since P**ed off and turned their backs on all the lofty principals they were trying to shove down our throats and their hypocrisy makes me sick.

Even the owner of the local veg forum that ranted endlessly and was trying to form all sorts of do gooder groups and organise political lobbys to change the country onto bio has long since disappeared into the ether and reports I heard from over a year ago said he had been using the evil dino devils fuel for sometime before that. To me he was just a grandstanding yuppie from the start because he never made any bio or used a drop of SVO, preferring to think he was performing some miracle using B20 he bought from a servo and using it in his new plastic yuppie 4WD that he never had occasion to use on anything more rugged than a dirt driveway to a picnic grounds. :roll:

Sorry but I won't let anyone berate my reason for using veg or tell me I'm wrong for why I do it.
The bleeding hearts all seem to miss what seems to me to be the obvious point that even if I'm using veg for the "Wrong" reasons as they would no doubt put it, the fact I'm using it in the first place means I'm still fulfilling the ambition that many of them were so vocal to espouse but didn't have the guts and wouldn't put in the effort to go through with after the Novelty value and talking point at cocktail parties had worn off.

It seems to me that the real reasons why people use veg gets a bit twisted. I think many of those claiming to be " green" were in fact liars. If they were committed as so many of them made out to be, why is it the majority of users I can think of hear would say their interest is first and foremost financial when the so very many of the ones that were on a save the world kick have bailed long ago??

Sure there is a bit of work in it but maybe that's the reason we are still at it, we don't expect something for nothing where maybe others did? We all have and are constantly refining setups that reduce the amount of work involved to a level that we can enjoy the time we spend as a hobby and not over the top hard work. We all agree that the hours spent divided by the money we save equates to a very worthwhile hourly rate with all the benefits of being able to pick and choose the time we work on it.

I know why I do what I do and don't have any problem admitting it unlike a lot of others that have come and long gone .

I don't give a damn about what might or could happen until a significant group of people can tell me it HAS happened to them.
Until then, it's just more endless gloom and doom Veg folk law.
David

Return to 2 Tank veggie oil conversion and General discussion