Not starting after conversion

For discussing the modifications needed for diesel vehicles to run with 2 tank veggie oil conversions.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Not starting after conversion

Postby every1elsesdoinit » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:14 pm

So I finished plumbing the WVO lines on my Ford 6.6 L B600. I'm following sunwizard's diagram, here's the schematic:

I have electric valves and I haven't wired them yet, but I need to move the bus soon, so I figured that because they default to the diesel flow I could just start the bus on diesel....
However, when I try to start it, it sounds like its not getting any fuel. I've tried over and over again manually priming the lift pump and then loosening the bleed drain on top of the fuel filters, priming it again, and then trying to start.... still same thing->I can crank it and i'll hold the pedal to the floor for like 5-8sec or so and it just cranks, doesn't sound like its getting any fuel.
I've removed the tee right before the injection pump and left it straight along the diesel line because I figured the veg oil lines were full of air and could have been keeping it from bleeding, but still nothing.
I've also opened up the return lines and hand primed the pump and fuel comes rushing out of the return lines--seems like exactly how much it would need to flow for starting--no bubbles, just fuel gushing out.
I've also checked and the fuel shut off solenoid is indeed opening when I start it......
anyone have any ideas?
West Coast
1991 Ford B600 Schoolbus
6.6L Turbodiesel running on 2 tank VO
Hotfox pickup, TIH fuel line, coolant wrapped filter, 26 plate FPHE, temp and pressure sensors

You all are lifesavers
every1elsesdoinit

Postby every1elsesdoinit » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:03 pm

hmmm so a new development:
I can hand prime the lift pump and fuel will come out of the line which goes to the injection pump. However, when I'm cranking and giving it full acceleration, no fuel comes out of that line.........
which is weird, because my lift pump is a bosch that looks like this:
and I've opened it up before, and I'm fairly sure that the mechanism for the hand primer and for the crankshaft to push fuel are the same......
It looks like the accelerator is all working fine

so im thinking remove the lift pump, give it a look over.... maybe ill have to order a replacement?
I guess it seems a little weird that it would just crap out at the exact same time I re-plumbed all the fuel lines--I'm still suspecting something i did
West Coast
1991 Ford B600 Schoolbus
Hotfox pickup, TIH fuel line, coolant wrapped filter, 26 plate FPHE, temp and pressure sensors

You all are lifesavers
every1elsesdoinit

Postby SunWizard » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:50 pm

You need to get the air out of both the D2 and VO sides of the system.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby every1elsesdoinit » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:54 pm

yeah it seems like the hydraforce valves let enough air through that both the vo and the diesel lines have to be primed. Wouldn't have really been a problem except I didn't plan the conversion that well and was stuck in a driveway of a house that we were moving out of. Everyone was really nice about it though.
Next step: get some biodiesel to prime through the lines, re-plumb everything, prime and get on my way!

Thanks!
West Coast
1991 Ford B600 Schoolbus

You all are lifesavers
every1elsesdoinit

Return to 2 Tank veggie oil conversion and General discussion