Final steps in My '93 Ford 7.3 IDI

For discussing the modifications needed for diesel vehicles to run with 2 tank veggie oil conversions.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Final steps in My '93 Ford 7.3 IDI

Postby stratman42 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:32 am

Hey everyone!

Im new to this board. Just wanna see what you guys think. Im not very mechanically inclined but luckily have a buddy who is my mechanic.

I had a pretty shoddy job of an installation for my kit. I want to install 3 Hydraforce valves instead of my pollak 6 port. The guy who put the kit in suggested not using the stock deisel lift pump, so we have an electrical lift for the VO side. Now, if i install these valves, what is going to happen if that stock diesel pump is pumping fuel right into a closed valve (when running VO). Has anyone converted an engine like this before?

Right now im getting about 75% diesel in my VO return line as well. not sure where its coming fom of if the new valves will help. The pollak is new, so its not a failed valve. Any ideas of what to do?
1993 Ford E350 IDI 7.3l
stratman42

Postby coachgeo » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:56 am

Don't assume a new Pollak had NOT failed. Would not be the first time to discover one that has.

Can't help you decipher other possible reasons why your getting diesel return on the veg side with out a diagram of what you have.

Your absolultely positive your not geting Veg return on the diesel side; as in could the two returns be on the wrong port on the Pollak vavle?
Life; It's all in the Balance

coachgeo

Postby stratman42 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:47 pm

There is nothing but diesel through the Deisel return. But... It would seem asthough my conversion is complete, except for Im running a lift to the valve on the vo side, becasue im not using the diesel cam shaft powered lift for VO. so when that mechanical lift pump pulls diesel out of the tank and puts it to a closed valve, wheres it going/is this damaging?
1993 Ford E350 IDI 7.3l
stratman42

Postby SunWizard » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:20 pm

I agree we need to see a diagram to help. Many have converted engines like that one, <98.5 dodge, <2001 chevy, and <95 mercedes are all similar but much tougher engines and IP. The diagram I used is here:
http://www.burnveg.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28
and it would work on yours but it shares the stock lift pump.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby stratman42 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:45 pm

Let me see if I can whip one up! I talked to someone who is an installer in VA and he said my mechanical lift pump deadheading shouldnt damage it, and since its only pushing 25-30 psi nothing will burst!
1993 Ford E350 IDI 7.3l
stratman42

Return to 2 Tank veggie oil conversion and General discussion