Mobile Filtration and Dewatering

Collecting, filtering and dewatering of WVO SVO vegetable oil. For Biodiesel producers too.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Mobile Filtration and Dewatering

Postby every1elsesdoinit » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:26 pm

Hello all,
So i imagine that this subject has been covered a number of times, but I thought that I might be able to start a new post thats a bit more specific to my situation and vet a few ideas with you all.

I am looking for a way to pickup, filter and dewater WVO for my house bus. I have 5 30 gallon plastic poly tanks in the rear, one of which has a hotfox pickup installed into it which draws fuel to the engine. I would like to be able to go to restaurants on my travels up the coast and pick up enough oil to continue driving. I know that a lot of these restaurants will likely already have oil contracts, but I imagine that if I ask nicely I'll have a decent chance at finding enough spots that will just let me pull out of their drums.

I have a hand crank pump that I can get (at least?) 5gal/min out of.

I figure i will need:

-Something to heat the oil as i pick it up out of drums
-A way to filter and dewater the oil
-Maybe a way to heat the oil as i transfer it from dirty to clean tank

I looked into centrifuges of course and even read most of the infopop thread on the dieselcraft CF. I think it might be tough to safely install it inside the bus, it will be difficult to power a pump without an AC hookup (i don't have a generator or nearly powerful enough inverter), and its pretty expensive. I also looked into motor driven CFs and they are crazy expensive......
What I've been thinking now is that I could heat and settle the oil onboard and then run it through a final filter. I could pick up the oil during the day, drive for a few hours using coolant to heat the oil, then at night when I stop, let it settle. I figure something like 4 hours of running 160 degree coolant through a coil in the oil and then 8 hours of settling would be pretty sufficient? I guess I'd also need some sort of coolant wrap "wand" for the oil pickups.
Anyone have some good ideas for how to do this without any AC power? I could use 12V for some of this but i'd prefer not to have to buy any expensive heaters or inverters.
Thanks!
West Coast
1991 Ford B600 Schoolbus
6.6L Turbodiesel running on 2 tank VO
Hotfox pickup, TIH fuel line, coolant wrapped filter, 26 plate FPHE, temp and pressure sensors

You all are lifesavers
every1elsesdoinit

Re: Mobile Filtration and Dewatering

Postby SunWizard » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:27 pm

every1elsesdoinit wrote:I figure something like 4 hours of running 160 degree coolant through a coil in the oil and then 8 hours of settling would be pretty sufficient?

Yes for some good, lightly used VO, which can be water free right from the dumpster. Other places it won't work. Testing is the only way to tell, every place is different. Yes your ideas will work, there are some who are operating mobile just like that.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Return to Vegetable oil Collecting, Filtering and Dewatering