Comparing different WVO dewatering methods

Collecting, filtering and dewatering of WVO SVO vegetable oil. For Biodiesel producers too.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Postby HoldOnTight » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:08 am

David,
What was the temperature when you were dewatering?
Late 99 Ford F-250, Designed and installed at home, 30 kMi on VO. WVO temp at solenoid valve is 185-195+F, winter-summer.
HoldOnTight

Postby SunWizard » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:34 am

David wrote:My oil will pass a HPT no matter how hot I make it with no bubbles at all.

Making the WVO cool is what can make suspended water form when none was present before, see this chart: WVO Dissolved water and % saturation versus temperature Now that I compared 5 different water in oil measuring methods, I find the HPT is bad and will quit using it, since high FFA WVO can contain 1700 PPM (by sandy brae) and still pass the HPT with no bubbles. Plus the new cap. water meter I am using is much easier than a HPT, and gives quantitative numbers that don't rely upon your lighting, eyesight, type of pan, temp of pan, etc..
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby David » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:05 pm

HoldOnTight wrote:David,
What was the temperature when you were dewatering?

I don't bother measuring other than by feel but as a guess I'd say around 40-50oC.

The last couple of nights I put some oil into dry and didn't heat it at all. Nights here have been under 7oC and the days about 15 due to cloudy/ wet weather. Humidity would have to be very high due to everything being wet or recently soaked.

I have left the oil overnight and when i have come out in the morning, it warm due to the heat transfer from the pump and is also perfectly dry. I don't know if this takes 4 hours, 6 or more, but the oil is dry and that's all I'm worried about.
The pump is only small so costs me probably .50C a night to run.
This makes me enough fuel for 2 full tanks and at current prices would cost about $250 to buy dieso here.

Your work with the Meter is very interesting Sun and I have been following it although not really had the time to fully digest it. I'm planning on setting myself up with a device like this when I have the time to play around more.

I suspect your work with the meter was why Dana the Disease was trying so hard to shoot you down as he couldn't stand to see the one thing he held onto so dearly( and rammed down everyone's throats at every opportunity ) the HPT, to be proven faulty even though he kind of admitted then did a back flip on that every so often. At least that's what I think he did, with him it was hard to know what he was actually talking about. :cry:

I'll have to set myself up with one of these meters and test how effective my drying machine is. I might be horrified but at the end of the day, I have been doing what i have been doing for 3 years with this setup now and never had a problem so I can at least be content my final product isn't all bad. :D

I don't give a damn about what might or could happen until a significant group of people can tell me it HAS happened to them.
Until then, it's just more endless gloom and doom Veg folk law.
David

Postby HoldOnTight » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:32 pm

So David, as I understand it, there are three possible explanations. I really need to see your setup to determine what is happening. The good news is that you should be able to verify the mechanism at play with the humidity sensor Sunwizard is using once you get it built.

Are you spraying the oil into the air? What is the oil pressure on the output of the pump's output?

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSGneP_lMQnc0-bVzCKok8b-iroxPg4pFCvGEnmJokvWp_ydjI&t=1&usg=__6fLEkfQMUw0GeZ2ZkmT-1VuHJQ4=

I couldn't get the image to display so I'm showing the link instead...
Late 99 Ford F-250, Designed and installed at home, 30 kMi on VO. WVO temp at solenoid valve is 185-195+F, winter-summer.
HoldOnTight

Re: Comparing different WVO dewatering methods

Postby HoldOnTight » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:36 pm

Update: I've been using vacuum boiling of water from my water heater. It only takes a couple hours to dewater a waterheater almost-full of WVO. I do it as the last step -- after filtering the oil down to 1 micron. I did a show about the whole veg oil approach and it is long, well over an hour, but there are some videos imbedded in the show that shows my oil processing setup and I discuss the steps, show the equipment. You can find it here, but you may want to skip the first 30 min which is before my presentation of the nearly 2 hour show ... enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rm4awSdxqc
HoldOnTight

Previous

Return to Vegetable oil Collecting, Filtering and Dewatering