500 watt Racor fuel heater?

Single Tank WVO systems and blending SVO WVO to thin it.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

500 watt Racor fuel heater?

Postby petie6464 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:10 pm

I am wondering if anyone has used this Racor heater on their system??

500 watt Racor heater model # 14257

http://www.parker.com/portal/site/PARKE ... TERS&Wtky=

Its fairly high priced so I didn't want to just jump in and try it. Seems that it would do the job and the technical specs call over 15 degree increase in temperature @ 30 per hour of flow. Being I run a blend of WVO/kerosene/rug it may be the ticket when it gets cooler here in Phoenix AZ?

Any thoughts?? Thank you,
petie6464

Postby David » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:33 pm

All electric heaters are pathetically underpowered compared to coolant driven models.

Even though an electric heater is more or less instant, you still have cold start issues with the fuel in your IP and injectors that is what is actually being used to start the vehicle. For this you need a blend sufficient that is going to get the vehicle going at that very first point.

If your blend is up to that then the engine is also up to running for a few minutes till the coolant starts to warm the fuel a bit. I don't think on most vehicles it would take very long for a coolant powered HE to raise the fuel temp 15 o and of course go well beyond that.

500W is a lot of amps in a 12V System so you would need to probably have a 2nd battery in your car to be on the safe side ( especially in cold weather where performance will drop right off) and the wiring would need to be substantial with a real good relay.

Th heater is rated at 15o@30gph flow. is the heater thermostatically controlled to this temp or if you are flowing like 5 GPH, will it go up say to 60o?

I really don't think electrical is worth the trouble for the small gain it offers but I'm sure plenty would argue Different.

I don't give a damn about what might or could happen until a significant group of people can tell me it HAS happened to them.
Until then, it's just more endless gloom and doom Veg folk law.
David

Postby SunWizard » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:16 pm

David wrote:All electric heaters are pathetically underpowered compared to coolant driven models.

I agree completely. And they put a large drain on the alternator, which can leave not enough power to charge the battery fully, which is important for good starting on diesels.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby petie6464 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:20 pm

David wrote:All electric heaters are pathetically underpowered compared to coolant driven models.

Even though an electric heater is more or less instant, you still have cold start issues with the fuel in your IP and injectors that is what is actually being used to start the vehicle. For this you need a blend sufficient that is going to get the vehicle going at that very first point.

If your blend is up to that then the engine is also up to running for a few minutes till the coolant starts to warm the fuel a bit. I don't think on most vehicles it would take very long for a coolant powered HE to raise the fuel temp 15 o and of course go well beyond that.

500W is a lot of amps in a 12V System so you would need to probably have a 2nd battery in your car to be on the safe side ( especially in cold weather where performance will drop right off) and the wiring would need to be substantial with a real good relay.

Th heater is rated at 15o@30gph flow. is the heater thermostatically controlled to this temp or if you are flowing like 5 GPH, will it go up say to 60o?

I really don't think electrical is worth the trouble for the small gain it offers but I'm sure plenty would argue Different.

500 watts is far from underpowered and with 125 amp alternator its really a non-issue. The little bit of fuel in the IP is again non-issue as the truck will start on that just fine. The point of the thread is not "does the electric heater work" or does it work as well as coolant for that matter coolant heater are one way to heat the grease but not the best. Again I have this and have for years the point of the thread was to find if anyone has used this particular heater. Speculative guessing and "oh my alternator is to small" is just blabbering.
petie6464

Re: 500 watt Racor fuel heater?

Postby David » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:22 am

petie6464 wrote:

After your smart ar$e reply, I have a few but probably best I keep them to myself.
:roll:

I don't give a damn about what might or could happen until a significant group of people can tell me it HAS happened to them.
Until then, it's just more endless gloom and doom Veg folk law.
David

Re: 500 watt Racor fuel heater?

Postby petie6464 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:13 pm

David wrote:
petie6464 wrote:

After your smart ar$e reply, I have a few but probably best I keep them to myself.
:roll:

Sorry if your butt hurt mate. Just trying to get some info. If I decide to give it try I will let you know, All this WVO info. is not a matter of national security.
petie6464

Return to Single Tank Systems and Blending