Heated filter idea

For discussing the modifications needed for diesel vehicles to run with 2 tank veggie oil conversions.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Heated filter idea

Postby Bones » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:15 pm

Heated filter idea :idea:

In the process of converting my 1998 300TD MB and was thinking about using one of these for the wvo filter.

Perhaps install a water block 5mic cartridge and wrap the housing with copper or nylon coil to add viscosity.

Would act as a nice header tank for the system with easy access to the filter for changing, may try getting a transparent housing for greater visibility.

Perhaps the element may dissolve under the heat?

Whilst writing I would like to thank Sunwizard, John Galt and other for their valuable research - thanks !

David

1994 Merc C250D -110k dino, 22k miles with t/tank - now on wvo
1998 Merc 300TD - 89k dino, 5k blend SVO garaged for winter

And remember ~

"if you drive a car fast enough it will last you a lifetime"
Bones

Postby Bones » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:22 pm

This one looks ok,

David

And remember ~

Bones

Postby SunWizard » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:24 pm

That's not a good filter for in a vehicle since some report when they get hot WVO can bypass around the ends of the element and you get particles in your IP. Also a spin-on automotive fuel filter is easier to replace without making a mess. Here is the filter I use: cim-tek filter

Water block filters don't stop water in WVO, only in diesel.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby HoldOnTight » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:40 pm

SunWizard wrote:

Um, I disagree. Once, I got some oil for free from a fellow greaser, just enough to get me home. His oil, I came to find out, had some free water in it. So, I got some free water with that WVO, and the filter started plugging really quick. (I can monitor the DAVCO as I drive using the rear view mirror). So I stopped and drained the filter sump. Damn, water!!! I found that filter will block the water, the oil, and damn near stall the truck quick once that water enters the dip tube in the tank. So, I shut er down and change the filter on the roadside (greaser style). The second water block filter nearly plugged up before I got home.

Lessons learned: 1. always test oil for water (and FFAs) if you get it from a new source. 2. Take oil for the whole trip if possible!
Late 99 Ford F-250, Designed and installed at home, 30 kMi on VO. WVO temp at solenoid valve is 185-195+F, winter-summer.
HoldOnTight

Postby SunWizard » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:10 pm

HoldOnTight wrote:
SunWizard wrote:Water block filters don't stop water in WVO, only in diesel.

Um, I disagree.

Yes you are right it will stop large amounts of free water by plugging the filter and stopping you on the side of the road. Even paper element filters will do that.

Water blockers still allow harmful amounts of suspended water to pass through is a better way to state that.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby Bones » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:21 pm

SunWizard wrote:That's not a good filter for in a vehicle since some report when they get hot WVO can bypass around the ends of the element and you get particles in your IP. Also a spin-on automotive fuel filter is easier to replace without making a mess. Here is the filter I use: cim-tek filter

Thanks bud, I knew there had to be a reason.

I'll probably go for the one in the bottom right of the picture as I want to try wrapping a coil around the metal cartridge as opposed to a heated head.

I measured the temp on my current heated filter which coolant passes through the head only, take an age for the rest of the actual filter to warm up and creates a lag.

Question, why do these diesel filters have water drains at the bottom, is it just for large water particles which maybe carried (not dissolved) within diesel?
David

And remember ~

Bones

Postby SunWizard » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:46 pm

Bones wrote:I'll probably go for the one in the bottom right of the picture as I want to try wrapping a coil around the metal cartridge as opposed to a heated head.

Mine isn't a heated head either. a rubber wrap gives better heat transfer due to much more surface area in contact with the filter.
Question, why do these diesel filters have water drains at the bottom, is it just for large water particles which maybe carried (not dissolved) within diesel?

Because free water in diesel fuel separates out easily and can be drained, suspended water in WVO doesn't.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby Bones » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:55 pm

SunWizard wrote:Mine isn't a heated head either. a rubber wrap gives better heat transfer due to much more surface area in contact with the filter.

That's my thinking too, by rubber wrap do you mean the 16mm heater hose or is there a special rubber product for this?

SunWizard wrote:Because free water in diesel fuel separates out easily and can be drained, suspended water in WVO doesn't.

No use buying one with a glass bowl then.
David

And remember ~

Bones

Postby SunWizard » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:02 pm

Bones wrote:That's my thinking too, by rubber wrap do you mean the 16mm heater hose or is there a special rubber product for this?

For mine I used the same 3/8" hose as I used for most of the fuel lines. A pic of mine is in the Veggie Oil Conversion Vehicle Database:
http://www.burnveg.com/forum/about28.html
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby Bones » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:03 pm

Cool, thanks
David

And remember ~

Bones

Return to 2 Tank veggie oil conversion and General discussion