Avoiding a poly/oxidization problem

Collecting, filtering and dewatering of WVO SVO vegetable oil. For Biodiesel producers too.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Avoiding a poly/oxidization problem

Postby gypsyjake » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:14 pm

I have been on the hunt for 2 30gallon coated steel drums to be part of my on board filtration setup w/ centrifuge - similar to SunWizard. 50 gallon drums won't fit in the space I have. Currently I have non-coated steel drums and am concerned about polymerization problems as it seems like this would be combining a bunch of negative factors: Heat, mild steel and agitation. Is there any thoughts on first how much of a problem I will be creating, the oil won't be in these for long but I know the rate of oxidization is way faster with hot temps, any places to look for these drums? and lastly what to use to coat them. Powdercoating is $75 each. Would enamel "rust stop" paint work? Or any similar products? I have a bit of a time constraint and a product I can get locally would be my first choice. But I will be living with this setup for awhile and would like to "do it right." Thanks for the advice.
7.3l IDI 4wd Ambulance camper van
gypsyjake

Postby SunWizard » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:27 pm

I have bought a painted 30 gallon barrel, but they are rare. I would use painted 50 gallon barrels and cut them down to fit, since the factory paint is tougher than anything you can do. If you must paint your own, any good paint will work, and spray is better than brush, but the trick is preparation, like having the steel completely clean and rust free. Otherwise your paint may flake off and create a new problem.

Or you could try 30 gallon plastic barrels.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby David » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:31 am

Here we get drums I imagine are about 30 gal in plastic with removable lids and bungs.
the one with the lids i have seen usually have had food in them like Olives and the drum type ones have had honey or molasses.

If you look around you may find some in plastic which will make for an easy solution to your problem.

I don't give a damn about what might or could happen until a significant group of people can tell me it HAS happened to them.
Until then, it's just more endless gloom and doom Veg folk law.
David

Postby gypsyjake » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:49 am

So I ended up painting the barrels. I only had 20inches of depth for them to fit in so 50gallon barrels were not an option. The guy at the paint store recommended a gloss stain. I sanded and cleaned the barrels like a fiend and then coated 4 times. I got brackets welded on and bolted to the floor of the van. I have cleaned 100 gallons so far via diesel centrifuge / inline heater and it seems to be holding up. May preemptively re-apply in awhile. I just made my (second after a failed system) maiden voyage to california from co. 1000 miles on VO today. Psyched!
7.3l IDI 4wd Ambulance camper van
gypsyjake

Return to Vegetable oil Collecting, Filtering and Dewatering