Siphon nozzle for WVO woodstove drip upgrade

Space Heating with SVO WVO Vegetable Oil Biofuel.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Postby mike_belben » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:45 pm

build a drip stove first. when you see how easily they can run away from you and turn a cast iron stove red, i bet youll reconsider adding more pressure to the crockpot.

quite a few people have had great results with using the pump from a typical becket style furnace gun, coupling it to a DC wiper motor and turning that very slowly with a PWM controller and powersupply off ebay.

simpler and less energy consuming than that, is a stack of minibike tire tubes on a vertical post with their valve stems linked to a common line feeding the top of a sealed grease reservoir. put a weight bench weight ontop the stack and you get your fixed PSI until they all bleed down and you refill with a bike pump. the bleed down can only happen as fast as you burn the oil, which is obviously controlled by a needle valve.
mike_belben

Postby John Galt » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:45 am

Why go to so much trouble fiddling with something that will likely burn down the building it's in, and void your insurance in the process?

Mix the UVO with sawdust, pack it in 'cardboard' milk cartons, burn them with a wood fire in a heavy steel airtight woodstove with combustion air control and a firebrick lined firebox.

Simple, easy, cost effective, and most importantly SAFE.
John Galt

Re: Siphon nozzle for WVO woodstove drip upgrade

Postby inframanii » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:19 am

Does anyone know where to get a rebuild kit and instructions for a Thomas 107CA18 compressor. My compressor will not put out 5 psi. Thanks in advance for any help!
inframanii

Postby dieselsragem » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:49 pm

Sunwizard,

Will this siphon nozzle system eliminate the black soot snow and blocked flue issues that we experienced last heating season ?

We were using a drip system into our wood stove. Great heat but bothersome mess!
Thanks
dieselsragem

Postby mike_belben » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:42 am

I did dripped wvo into tin burners for one season and it was dangerous. Switched to shovelling in loose sawdust and veggie mix. A tin baffle divides my firebox into front chamber and rear chamber with a pretty close fit around its perimeter. This baffle keeps all of the fire close to the draft inlet under the door. Turbulence is required to continually blow away the top layer of ash or itll stifle down. Without direct draft at the pile, flame will be low, smokey and produce terrible creosote.

So the front chamber gets loaded full with grease chips and lit. The draft blows right at it and the flames must travel around the tin, lick the sides of the stove and then get a seconday burn from the air leaks in the back chamber before going out the flue.

Temps before the baffle would be 200 on the door, 350 on the sides and 600 up the flue. After the baffle im seeing 600 on the door, 800 on the sides and 400 up the flue. The house heats up instantly and runs much less often with the increased temps, theres zero chimney smoke, zero creosote and the sawdust will contain tons of oil energy but wont let it take off. My drip problem was that it either flooded out, or ran away into the 1300+ range, orange smokepipe.

This year ive built a variable speed hopper and it will deliver the mix into a rocket stove im still working on.
mike_belben

Postby dieselsragem » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:58 am

Sun,

Are you still using a wood fire for combustion of atomized oil?
I'm just setting mine up.

Thanks
dieselsragem

Postby SunWizard » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:29 am

No, I have switched to 100% solar heat now that the price of solar panels dropped to less than half of what they were.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Vegetable Oil Space Heating