Cone/Ramp heater

Space Heating with SVO WVO Vegetable Oil Biofuel.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Cone/Ramp heater

Postby coachgeo » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:45 am

Sun..... not sure if it was you or someone else back in the day who came up with the idea of a ramp that you drip the oil on.... oil as it flows down the ramp it spreads.... thinning out more and more as it spreads and flows down the ramp till it is close to a film of oil that easily vaporizes with heat.

This has been on my mind ever since. Been rolling it around in my (rather scrambled, feble) head for awhile. Thought of coiled ramp, bowls up side down, etc etc.

Presently thought is..... Giant inverted cone with top cut off and planted in place of removed top; a round bottom bowl of same diameter of top of cone. (Ice cream cone shape; upside down, w/ball of icecream plopped on top)

Oil is dripped on the inverted bowl (larger spot to drip oil on) where it flows off in all directions. *

Then on down all sides of the cone. Further down the cone it goes... the more of a thin film it becomes because the same volume of oil is continually spread over a greater area.

build a fire below the cone to preheat everything. Drip in oil.... eventually the heat will vaproize the film and burn it. As surface of cone gets hotter... the higher up the cone it can have potential to vaporize the oil.

Suspect at some point; the design should have something to make it hard to heat a section of the cone so oil wont ignite... say the top 1/3rd? Want to keep from having to have a 6foot tall cone to allow for thinning of film as much as possible before allowing to vaporze/ignite. reason being.... thinner the film..... less to no deposits left behind.

This design is for NON electric power locations... no fans, compressors etc.

LP preheater is my thought?

A slight design difference could be to have end 1/3rd? of the cone being a fire resistant, non melting, fine mesh screen. Now film of oil is stretched over openings of screen making it super easy to vaporize.

open to ideas on this?

* or... a 1/4" tall cup that as fills- spills over on all sides .....
Last edited by coachgeo on Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Life; It's all in the Balance

coachgeo

Postby SunWizard » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:30 am

Yes the ramp burner was my idea, its in the thread below. David's tube burner is very similar and is in another thread below.

I think a ramp or tube is better, since it channels the WVO and the flames to the same area, and it takes a good amount of heat to vaporize it. And you want the intake air blowing fast over the flames.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby coachgeo » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:14 pm

SunWizard wrote:...
I think a ramp or tube is better, since it channels the WVO and the flames to the same area, and it takes a good amount of heat to vaporize it. And you want the intake air blowing fast over the flames.
Air blowing fast wont be happening in the design my brain has been thinking on for so long. No external power is the goal so only air will be via draft. Thus the desire for a long travel path of oil over ever widning area to really get the oil to as small a film as possible under the conditions.

coachgeo

Postby David » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:27 am

Not quite understanding this....

Will the cone be as in the direction of an ice cream cone with the pointy end to the bottom or will it go to the top?

I'm thinking your saying to the top which I see several issues with.

I don't give a damn about what might or could happen until a significant group of people can tell me it HAS happened to them.
Until then, it's just more endless gloom and doom Veg folk law.
David

Postby coachgeo » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:32 am

David wrote:Not quite understanding this....

Will the cone be as in the direction of an ice cream cone with the pointy end to the bottom or will it go to the top?

I'm thinking your saying to the top which I see several issues with.
Pointy end at top with top lobed off and either bulbish top added or cup to spill over. Both should distribute oil fully around top circumfrence.

coachgeo

Postby David » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:45 am

coachgeo wrote:
David wrote: Pointy end at top with top lobed off and either bulbish top added or cup to spill over. Both should distribute oil fully around top circumfrence.

Only if the cone is very level, the oil flows very evenly onto the ball or out of the cup and there are no wind/ thermal currents/ uneven draft happening.

You may also want to put inclined side walls in the burning chamber to encourage the flame to stay close to or run along the edge of the cone.
Preheating of the oil will be important to get it to vapourise and and burn.
Unless the oil gets hot enough ( which I have my reservations about) it will leave a lot of deposits which most likley will impede the burners operation and need frequent cleaning.

I don't give a damn about what might or could happen until a significant group of people can tell me it HAS happened to them.
Until then, it's just more endless gloom and doom Veg folk law.
David

Postby coachgeo » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:15 am

David wrote:
coachgeo wrote:
David wrote: Pointy end at top with top lobed off and either bulbish top added or cup to spill over. Both should distribute oil fully around top circumfrence.

Only if the cone is very level, the oil flows very evenly onto the ball or out of the cup and there are no wind/ thermal currents/ uneven draft happening.
Yes that was my thoughts too.

You may also want to put inclined side walls in the burning chamber to encourage the flame to stay close to or run along the edge of the cone.
Preheating of the oil will be important to get it to vapourise and and burn.
Unless the oil gets hot enough ( which I have my reservations about) it will leave a lot of deposits which most likley will impede the burners operation and need frequent cleaning.
Preheat... yes manditory. Question will be... at what temp does a preheated "thin" film of oil vaporize? There is a temps listed for vaporization of Veg. oil in literature... question is how much oil was that temp applied to in the test. Thoughts is it may vapor at a cooler temp when it is in a thin film than say the temp of a once ounce container.

My guess is the cone would end up a foot or so in length so the oil has traveled and spread far... thus has ended up thinner by the time it reaches the portion of the cone that is heated enough to vaporize the oil.

coachgeo

Postby BrentM » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:51 pm

What would stop the flame from advancing up the cone to the thicker oil? Would the cone look like a Christmas tree with the top of the cone straight above the main flame? If the cone was tilted then the oil would collect at the bottom of the end of the cone and note spread all around it. I guess you could build a tube/ramp or multiple ones that feed to the ring edge of the cone where it can flow down the sides. I was also thinking of using a screen to dissipate the oil like you mentioned.

Return to Vegetable Oil Space Heating