96 VW Jetta which is best system

If new, go here first. Beginner questions, Forum help, suggestions and more FAQ.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

96 VW Jetta which is best system

Postby fabs375 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:52 pm

Im looking for the best system to do a conversion with. I will be doing 2 conversions, one to a 1996 jetta TDI and one to a 2004 Jetta TDI wagon. Both are manual vehicles. If both of these go well we will be doing it to our 2001 Ford f350 superduty 7.3 liter.

Which is the best 'kit' I can buy? Im buying a kit just for symplicity and making sure I dont forget anything. Is the greasecar kit very good? this is what I have been looking at?

anybody know which tank takes up less room or which is more efficient? the 13gal round tank or 15 gal rectangular tank?

We have bought everything needed including a centrifuge for cleaning the grease, only thing now is buying the kits for the cars.

whats the difference between a standard fuel line and a vito BIO fuel line? is it worth it the extra $30 for the VITO BIO line?

http://www.greasecar.com/products/greas ... asecar-kit
This is the site I have been refering to for greasecar. Could someone tell me which upgrades are worth it and which ones are pointless?

I will not be getting the electronic controller. I am capable of switching it over myself with a button :)

Please give me all opinions on where to get all your parts. I need everything to be as reliable as possible.
fabs375

Postby SunWizard » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:30 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I think Frybrid is the best kit but they cost more. Aluminum tube in hose is better than pex which often leaks, a FPHE is the best way to heat, and you don't want to heat the entire tank, just the pickup. Most kit makers have started offering a FPHE as an option which you should get.

For the ford, look at vegistroke: http://www.biofuelstechnologies.com/ although since they went bankrupt and have new owners I don't know how good their warranty or support is. Many were left without a warranty on the kits bought in the last few years.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby fabs375 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:33 am

Is the greasecar kit not good? I looked at frybrid and it is about 700 more expensive, but I would end up upgrading some stuff in the greasecar kit so I think I would end up only saving a few hundred bucks.

Are these kits difficult to install? I have lots of mechnical experience I was just wondering if they were tough to install on your own.

Will the kit come with EVERYTHING I need or are they other things I will need to?

Does it come with instructions for installation or does it give you the freedom to do it how you like?
fabs375

Postby SunWizard » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:03 pm

fabs375 wrote:Is the greasecar kit not good?

Correct, its not good for the reasons I listed.
I looked at frybrid and it is about 700 more expensive, but I would end up upgrading some stuff in the greasecar kit so I think I would end up only saving a few hundred bucks.

Sounds about right, but you would still have an inferior kit even after the upgrades.
Are these kits difficult to install? I have lots of mechnical experience I was just wondering if they were tough to install on your own.

That all depends on your skills, some would say its easy, some others might say its impossible you guys are crazy. It was easy for me. I like my own design much better than any kit on the market (see the converted vehicle database here), and it cost way less. I did several months of research before I even started buying parts or turning wrenches.
Will the kit come with EVERYTHING I need or are they other things I will need to?

I always did my own designs, so I don't know. But they should.
Does it come with instructions for installation or does it give you the freedom to do it how you like?

Yes they have instructions, and of course you are free to do it different, and many do. Any changes you make may mean extra parts to buy, or may change how it performs. It might be hard to get support from the kit maker if you do it different.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby fabs375 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:18 pm

That is awesome information. Thank you very very much. I think I should be able to do it without a problem... I have fully built and swapped a motor into a 400hp daily driver... which is bad on gas and bad for the environment, therefore I am making up for it by converting my truck, and both jettas :D

I am leaning towards the frybar kit, but I am going to look at yours to see how you did it :)
fabs375

Postby David » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:09 pm

I think the best system is the one you design yourself to suit YOUR conditions and requirements.

If you can swap an engine I can't see why you couldn't work out what amounts to a bit of plumbing on the fuel system.

I don't give a damn about what might or could happen until a significant group of people can tell me it HAS happened to them.
Until then, it's just more endless gloom and doom Veg folk law.
David

Return to Beginners section and FAQ