PA Biodiesel

Collecting, filtering and dewatering of WVO SVO vegetable oil. For Biodiesel producers too.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

PA Biodiesel

Postby compostbrain » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:32 pm

Anyone have experience with them? They seem to have a bit cheaper setup than the dieselcraft stuff. Here is a link: http://jmazecorponline.com/shop/index.php/cPath/98
compostbrain

Postby SunWizard » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:57 pm

All of the cheaper ones I have seen have rotors that are not nickel plated so they could corrode, they aren't balanced as well, and they don't have as good bearings so they won't spin as fast. The cheaper ones vary so some get a good one, while others don't. Unless you have seen and heard one with good bearings and balance spin you don't have anything to compare if yours is bad.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

PA BIODIESEL

Postby pab » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:51 pm

Customers tell us they get turned off by the blogs – it’s a shame because while there is good information posted, there is also inaccurate, misleading information, and blogs are sometimes used to promote or “bash” certain brands. We try to stay off the blogs, but every once in a while we do feel prone to post to clear up misinformation. PA Biodiesel and Dieselcraft in the US , and Oilybitz in the UK all sell centrifuges by the same manufacturer. Period. The same manufacturer.
pab

Postby SunWizard » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:21 am

Even the same manufacturer can make them to different specs for different vendors. Are your rotors nickel plated? Do you dynamically balance each rotor (or does the factory) and mark the 2 halves with lines showing how to re-assemble them so its balanced?
SunWizard
Site Admin

PA BIODIESEL

Postby pab » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:30 am

Sun Wizard -- I’m not sure if you receive misinformation or if you’re a spokesman for Dieselcraft ,willing to be less than honest . If you are a spokesperson, we feel we are in a no-win situation . As for the rotors, all rotors are dynamically balanced, with the arrows, at the factory. During our factory visit in April, we saw this process. We’ve had a customer from Dieselcraft’s hometown bash us with untruths on our Ebay site and there is no preventing you or anyone else from doing that again. In the past Dieselcraft made reference to us as a “cheap copy” but is no longer permitted to do that –why? Because we are not.

I regret that you have chosen to use this blog in this way. The information you provide in the WVO field is excellent. You are out front with your expertise and knowledge. You are more than welcome to call me at any time and we can discuss this.
pab

Postby coachgeo » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:25 am

Stand up for your product.... not a thing wrong with that.

Please check with the factory about the nickle plating. Would be intresting to learn if they sell at two ranges of product construction or not.
Life; It's all in the Balance

coachgeo

Postby SunWizard » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:43 am

No I am not a spokesperson, and I haven't been less than honest. I have lots of experience with centrifuges since I have helped many others to get going with them. There are many brands of 'look a likes' with no names, which makes it hard to discuss them.

I guess that means yours isn't nickel plated since you didn't answer that question. That is a drawback but not a big problem, and I could still send you many customers if I knew they were as good in every other way.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby pab » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:32 am

Coachgeo - if you’re asking if the manufacturer makes one grade for Dieselcraft and an economy model for everyone else, the answer is no. There are two differences between Dieselcraft’s centrifuge and Pa Biodiesel Supply’s centrifuge.
1. Their base is threaded ¼” for the OC-20 and 3/8” for the OC-50. Our base is BSP threading with an adapter to ¼” and 3/8”.
2. Dieselcraft’s rotor is nickel plated while Pa Biodiesel Supply’s is either white or yellow passivation (which I believe was on Dieselcraft’s first centrifuges like the one Sun Wizard would have used back in 2006) or chrome plating which can be seen on our other site at www.centrifugeoilfiltration.com . Dieselcraft was the first U.S. distributor and they have first call so to speak on those two items.
3. Just another bit of information about our (and Dieselcraft’s )centrifuge serial numbers:
Serial No. example: 20 09 12 121
first two digits : Model ( SCC 020)
next two digits: Year of Manufacture (2009)
next two digits : Month of Manufacture (December)
last digits : Production Serial Number (121)
Now I have a question for Sun Wizard - there is a story about a fellow that was the first person to come up with using a centrifuge to clean their WVO, was that you? And if so you’re the person who started the whole centrifuge WVO cleaning operation that everyone is enjoying today.
pab

Postby SunWizard » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:25 pm

pab wrote: Now I have a question for Sun Wizard - there is a story about a fellow that was the first person to come up with using a centrifuge to clean their WVO, was that you? And if so you’re the person who started the whole centrifuge WVO cleaning operation that everyone is enjoying today.

Yes that's me. People were using centrifuges, but not the fluid powered kind. I just looked and there are 352,000 views on my original dieselcraft CF thread which I know has helped many hundreds to start using these.
Last edited by SunWizard on Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby SunWizard » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:31 pm

pab wrote:2. Dieselcraft’s rotor is nickel plated while Pa Biodiesel Supply’s is either white or yellow passivation (which I believe was on Dieselcraft’s first centrifuges like the one Sun Wizard would have used back in 2006) or chrome plating which can be seen on our other site at www.centrifugeoilfiltration.com .

Why no prices on that site? A plated rotor is better for WVO, since I and others have found that un-plated ones corrode after a while and it makes them harder to clean. Although that's minor.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby coachgeo » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:13 pm

SunWizard wrote:
pab wrote:2. Dieselcraft’s rotor is nickel plated while Pa Biodiesel Supply’s is either white or yellow passivation (which I believe was on Dieselcraft’s first centrifuges like the one Sun Wizard would have used back in 2006) or chrome plating which can be seen on our other site at www.centrifugeoilfiltration.com .

.... A plated rotor is better for WVO,
...except a nickle plate
Life; It's all in the Balance

coachgeo

Re: PA BIODIESEL

Postby David » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:27 pm

pab wrote:Sun Wizard -- I’m not sure if you receive misinformation or if you’re a spokesman for Dieselcraft ,willing to be less than honest .

I regret that you have chosen to use this blog in this way.

If there is one thing that puts me off a product, its when someone from that company comes on a forum being all defensive and making accusations about people, veiled or otherwise, that have asked simple, honest and direct yes/no questions.

It's pretty laughable when the person they are having a go at is THE person that is responsible for them having a business in the first place even though they are too ignorant to realise that. :roll:

I don't give a damn about what might or could happen until a significant group of people can tell me it HAS happened to them.
Until then, it's just more endless gloom and doom Veg folk law.
David

Postby SunWizard » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:31 am

coachgeo wrote: ...except a nickle plate

What is wrong with nickel plate? You are probably thinking of zinc which is reactive to WVO.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby compostbrain » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:20 am

My other concern about the centrifuge system is it seems like it will use a lot more energy to run than something like the frybrid filtration setup: http://frybrid.com/filtration.htm

Has anyone done a comparison of energy(electricity use per gallon of oil filtered) usage

My thoughts so far:

Centrifuge advantages:
1. Fast( no long settling needed?)
2.Very high degree of filtration is achievable
3. De-watering is excellent
4. No filters needed
Centrifuge Disadvantages:
1. More energy intensive.
2. Cost may be higher depending on sources

Frybrid style filtration advantages:
1. simple.
2. Low energy needs
3. Lower cost may be achievable
4. Acceptable filtration and de watering can be achieved.
Disadvatages:
1. Must replace filters
2. Requires a longer settling time
compostbrain

Postby SunWizard » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:00 pm

compostbrain wrote:My other concern about the centrifuge system is it seems like it will use a lot more energy to run than something like the frybrid filtration setup: http://frybrid.com/filtration.htm

Has anyone done a comparison of energy(electricity use per gallon of oil filtered) usage

Its not much difference in power usage. The main energy is to get the WVO up to 140-160F = 5kw = 50 cents, same for either system. Running the CF for 4 hours = 2.8kw only costs 28 cents, versus running the frybrid still pump = 1.5 kw = 15 cents. Totals = 78 cents versus 65 cents for 50 gallons.

Centrifuge advantages:
1. Fast( no long settling needed?)
2.Very high degree of filtration is achievable
3. De-watering is excellent
4. No filters needed
Centrifuge Disadvantages:
1. More energy intensive.
2. Cost may be higher depending on sources

Frybrid style filtration advantages:
1. simple.
2. Low energy needs
3. Lower cost may be achievable
4. Acceptable filtration and de watering can be achieved.
Disadvatages:
1. Must replace filters
2. Requires a longer settling time

more disadvantages:
3. Many have trouble getting decent dewatering with it. I could never get much of my WVO to pass a HPT with cold or heated settling.
4. You discard part of your WVO that you drain off the bottom each time, several gallons at least which is worth $2, more than the 13 cents difference in power. No discard of oil with the CF.
5. The cost of replacement filters will also exceed the 13 cents difference in power.

More CF advantages: it can be easily used mobile on the road. You can easily use WVO with PHO and fats which gives you many more sources to choose from.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Next

Return to Vegetable oil Collecting, Filtering and Dewatering