original lift pump on the ford f250 1991 7,3l idi

For discussing the modifications needed for diesel vehicles to run with 2 tank veggie oil conversions.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

original lift pump on the ford f250 1991 7,3l idi

Postby dark_flame221 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:15 am

I was thinking about a system that would use two lift pump one for wvo and one for diesel, two valves one for the selecting wvo or diesel just before ip and one for the return line ....

I saw some oem lilft pump for my truck at about 55$ dont know if i saw the right part but two lift pump would really shorten my switch over time...

My question is there some body here that use this pump with wvo, is it reliable, or it can't handle wvo !?

http://www.thedieselstore.com/template/ ... 07&VehNum=

also i'm worry about un-heated portion of wvo line, in live quebec canada and it get freaking cold here... ! i'm afraid that if i leave wvo in the return line it will solidified and block the line or just the portion between the F.P.H.E and the injection pump (ip) wont get enough heat and when i will switch on wvo that wvo in this portion wont be hot enough and will cause some cooking maybe not alot but.... some

Can you mix wvo with diesel ? maybe filling up my return line with diesel could help in not blocking my line with thick wvo.... ?!

Last edited by dark_flame221 on Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
dark_flame221

Re: original lift pump on the ford f250 1991 7,3l idi

Postby SunWizard » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:06 am

dark_flame221 wrote:I was thinking about a system that would use two lift pump one for wvo and one for diesel

Isn't your lift pump mechanical run off the engine? If so, you can't run 2 mechanical, the 2nd would have to be electric. And you may need some way so the flow of the stock diesel pump isn't just blocked by the valve when in WVO position.
also i'm worry about un-heated portion of wvo line, in live quebec canada and it get freaking cold here... ! i'm afraid that if i leave wvo in the return line it will solidified and block the line or just the portion between the F.P.H.E and the injection pump (ip) wont get enough and when i will switch on wvo that wvo in this portion wont be hot enough and will cause some cooking maybe not alot but.... some

The return on WVO should loop before the lift pump. Otherwise you are pressurizing the return which can make it run bad or ruin the IP on some models. Make your return and the short line between FPHE and IP be insulated hose on hose so coolant heats it before switchover.

With that engine most run diesel and WVO through the FPHE to pre-heat the IP so you don't get thermal shock snapping the IP shaft which is a very common problem on that engine. Search here or infopop for lots of examples of that. Also switchover only at idle speed.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby dark_flame221 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:26 am

you mean that i should heat my return line with hose on hose coolant heat ? did you already seen some body use that ?

and for using wvo and diesel to preheat ip how do you do that i let the diesel and wvo open ? and why do i have to switchover at idle

well sunwizard im glad its you that have give me a response
dark_flame221

Postby SunWizard » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:40 am

dark_flame221 wrote:you mean that i should heat my return line with hose on hose coolant heat ?

Yes.
did you already seen some body use that ?

Yes, many.
and for using wvo and diesel to preheat ip how do you do that i let the diesel and wvo open ?

move the FPHE just before the IP so you run diesel and WVO through the FPHE.
and why do i have to switchover at idle

because the IP is weak and that makes less stress on it.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby rkpatt » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:09 pm

Take a look at Sunwiard's Dodge setup -

http://www.burnveg.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28

I also run both fuels through the FPHE . I can close the coolant supply valve to the FPHE for extended running on diesel .

The stock lift pump for this engine is known for diaphragm failure that results filling up the crankcase with fuel . If you must use it because you cannot afford a reliable buy pricey electric pump (FASS or Raptor), install a new mechnaical lift pump now and replace in every year or two as a PM item .
rkpatt

Re:

Postby dark_flame221 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:03 pm

SunWizard wrote:move the FPHE just before the IP so you run diesel and WVO through the FPHE.
because the IP is weak and that makes less stress on it.

ok but then, if we suppose i dont use my vo system, i will run with hot diesel, can that be a problem ?
dark_flame221

Re: Re:

Postby SunWizard » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:28 pm

dark_flame221 wrote:ok but then, if we suppose i dont use my vo system, i will run with hot diesel, can that be a problem ?

Yes because heat lowers the lubricity of diesel, but its minor, and easily solved by adding a ball valve to your coolant line and shut off the flow to the FPHE if you are running on diesel for extended times, as mentioned 2 posts above by RKpatt.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Return to 2 Tank veggie oil conversion and General discussion