97 cummins 12v, modded sunwizard 2 tank system

A description and pics of your SVO WVO Vegetable Oil conversion, help the next person who gets that model.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Postby mike_belben » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:28 am

a question i received via PM that may not have been clear enough:

The line you cut that goes from the injectors to the banjo bolt on top of the diesel filter, where did you run that to?

it is fuel pumped around the base of the injectors to keep them cool, which normally returns to the fuel filter dirty side. we are teeing it in the with the injection pump return line, then sending the tee'd line to the return valve. injector drain shown in blue, injection pump drain shown in black:

mike_belben wrote:
cut injector drain

3/16 hose on the drain line

to a tee down by the tranny

the two lines tee into one, and go into the right hand valve marked "from IP" to send unused fuel back to appropriate tank

hope that clears it up
mike_belben

Postby mike_belben » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:53 am

im presently troubleshooting a low pressure condition, and ran a bypass line from Diesel tank feed to strainer input to see what effect my valving had on the situation. fuel pressure at idle was up 7psi.

i am convinced the valves we are using are too small for a truck with larger than stock injectors and/or pump mods. i also deleted the OEM cummins filter housing due to the cost of elements and the horrible location. replaced it with a generic 10 micron spin-on setup located right on the firewall. it is 10x better to work on.

i will report all the details here after i find and repair the issue, and upgrade all the diameters on my system.
mike_belben

Postby mike_belben » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:13 am

2 more tips while im on the subject.

first, i suggest all of you run a length of hose in place to do a bypass for roadside repair. plumb it right next to your tank line and right up to your strainer inlet so that you can pull over, loosen some hose clamps and switch the lines in order to get diesel to your fuel pump in a bind. zip tie it all in place, and put bolts with hoseclamps into the hose ends to keep the insides clean. could save you a tow bill some day.

second, for those with hopped up trucks who still want to run a fass or airdog, or for auxilliary/backup fueling, the Bosch Ppump has a feed port on the front that is plugged from the factory, its 18x1.5mm thread and is very easy to connect to with JIC fittings. youd run an electric pump on a switch into a ballvalve or atleast a one-way valve to the front port on the Ppump (so that you arent backflowing in one side and out the other.) when the truck dies or you need more power, flip on the electric pump.

google "P-pump dual feed" for plenty of photos and writeups on the various cummins sites.
mike_belben

Postby SunWizard » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:10 pm

mike_belben wrote:im presently troubleshooting a low pressure condition, and ran a bypass line from Diesel tank feed to strainer input to see what effect my valving had on the situation. fuel pressure at idle was up 7psi.

The pressure at idle isn't affected by the diameters since the flow is tiny. That sounds more like an air leak issue, which is a very common problem. Have you tried a clear inline filter?
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby mike_belben » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:10 am

i built mine with a bleed port similar to a brake bleeder using an 1/8 needle valve to clear hose into a reservoir for quick filter changes and repair. there is no air whatsoever, all lines are new and double clamped, the heater is deleted.

the idle pressure and loaded pressure are both up 7-10 lbs to around 21-24. i will explain further when i fix the issue and am not putting my foot in my mouth.
mike_belben

Postby mike_belben » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:01 am

the first thing i checked was the lift pump, spring was fine, no broken parts, no scores inside.

i exhausted my theories and finally threw a lift pump at it, pressure went up to 32psi immediately and never goes below 30psi even at WOT.

that said, i am getting a bit of a burble at heavy throttle that sounds exactly like running out of fuel, though the pressure is adequate. im making 650ft lbs at the tires, probably losing quite a bit through the stock (slipping) automatic.

feeding the injection pump from the rear OEM banjo fitting delivers fuel to the rack at the #6 plunger. all of the fuel has to travel forward to the #1 cylinder which is prone to starving as the other injector lines drink it up. suspect that might be my burble and think im going to try feeding both ends of the pump for precautionary reasons (they sieze without fuel lubing/cooling)

i notice with the new pump that my purge times are lightning fast. i flip all 3 valves in a row and my fuel temp gauge (at IP) goes from 180 to 150 in about 5 seconds, indicating diesel has washed over the gauge sender. in this weather, even my diesel fuel is at 110 when it hits the IP.
mike_belben

Re: 97 cummins 12v, modded sunwizard 2 tank system

Postby Clay » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:08 pm

How's the upgrade on line size working out? Any updates?
Clay

Postby mike_belben » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:25 am

have had our hands full with new baby and second job this year so it hasnt been done. i made the unfortunate discovery that my previous grease process using whole house water filters was actually not flowing much at all until 150*F when the plastic filter element structural tube would deform and fully bypass all filtering. i was loading the motor full of particles and im pretty certain the burble is clogged injector nozzles. i built a pop tester and will hopefully go through the injectors this winter. have since changed to donaldson spin on filters on my processing setup with much success.
mike_belben

Postby mike_belben » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:47 pm

ive prob got somewhere between 20 and 30k veg miles on this truck now and cant complain, aside from minimal issues it has served me well.

my fuel gauge has never worked and my tank straps rotted out so i dropped the tank the other day expecting a routine repair of the float level sender from worn plastic allowing the wiper to lose contact with the board. i was disappointed to find more than a little poly inside the stock fuel tank. the copper wiper, copper board tabs and metal float arm were coated in chicken skin and both screens inside the sump were clogging. the truck ran fairly normal.

i did run wvo/d2 blends during summer months in the cold tank and obviously straight veg in the heated tank. i think the issue was also accelerated by short switchover times at purge, primarily on behalf of the tank return valve. i have a temp sensor in an aluminum junction block between my hot line and cold line just before the injection pump and am therefore able to see when cold diesel hits the injection pump during purge.. its very fast, a few seconds after i flip the valve the gauge temp starts heading downward. ive always assumed it was fine to switch the return valve back to the D2 side at that time but i now think its a bad idea. im going to start giving each stage about 30 seconds before selecting the next. 30 seconds to draw from the diesel side into the grease side. 30 more seconds of letting the diesel run through the diesel side filter but return to the grease side tank, then finally 30 seconds of running completely switched back to diesel.

fyi, there is a strainer inside the tank sump for the side drawing fuel, another screen filters the fuel returning to the sump and obviously the strainer just before the lift pump. the number of times ive clogged these now is a bit scary, and id never consider bypassing them ever. fuel tanks are incredibly dirty.

anyone else have a truck that hazes on diesel but not on grease? my truck has 370 injectors.
mike_belben

Postby beeline » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:03 pm

" i was disappointed to find more than a little poly inside the stock fuel tank. the copper wiper, copper board tabs and metal float arm were coated in chicken skin and both screens inside the sump were clogging. "

hey Mike,
I had also noted poly/chicken skin in my oil loop. Since then I installed a by pass on the heated tank and no more chicken skin. I only use the tank heat when it's below -15C out. I haven't looked inside the tank, but filter, etc. has no more skin on it.
1996 dodge diesel, 2 tank heated WVO conversion
beeline

Postby mike_belben » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:39 pm

im confused, can you explain further? you only heat your wvo tank when its cold? whats your injection temp?
mike_belben

Postby beeline » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:45 pm

mike_belben wrote:im confused, can you explain further? you only heat your wvo tank when its cold? whats your injection temp?

yes, I only heat the tank when it's cold since I installed a 'heated pick up bypass'. still have a plate heat exchanger that always heats up the oil prior to the injection pump.
1996 dodge diesel, 2 tank heated WVO conversion
beeline

Postby vegnomad » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:15 am

I would like to use my stock poly diesel tank to run my veg from, and add a smaller diesel tank for startup. Has anyone done this? Anybody know of any reasons not to?

Thanks in advance.
'98 Dodge 2500 12v cummins - in process of WVO conversion
2003 Jetta TDI - future conversion planned
vegnomad

Postby mike_belben » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:26 am

The fuel level sender has a copper wiper arm. Itll be the perfect catalyst to poly the tank and the fuel gauge will die quickly. Happened to me just from blending in the stock tank.
mike_belben

Postby vegnomad » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:30 am

mike_belben wrote:The fuel level sender has a copper wiper arm. Itll be the perfect catalyst to poly the tank and the fuel gauge will die quickly. Happened to me just from blending in the stock tank.

Have you fixed yours? Do you know if it's possible to replace the sending unit with one that will work?
'98 Dodge 2500 12v cummins - in process of WVO conversion
2003 Jetta TDI - future conversion planned
vegnomad

PreviousNext

Return to Veggie Oil Conversion Vehicle Database