1998 dodge cummins WVO kit instal - prep

A description and pics of your SVO WVO Vegetable Oil conversion, help the next person who gets that model.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

1998 dodge cummins WVO kit instal - prep

Postby 88tlc » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:18 am

i have had a dodge cummins 1996 with a frybrid system (a 2 valve system, with vo return line). it has worked pretty well, until for the last year i have had to struggle with low fuel pressure at the IP, while on VO. I started with a new filter and it would help slightly. I then committed to updating the system to rebuild the system with AN plumbing, and add a third valve, so that i could push fuel through filters instead of pull. This also helped, but would still have the problem of low fuel pressure. I then was forced to pull the heated pickup from the tank, and found a lot of poly within the tank.

I think this was caused by the fuel pickup supplying TOO much heat. also the return line provides heated fuel back into the tank, and expose to air (with exposure to copper weld in the heat exchanger) and long periods of driving without using actively the VO system (because if was clogged).

The corrections made with the system with pushing the VO through the filter, eliminating the return line have improved immensely.

I mention this past experience, so that i can improve the next system. i live in cold climate, and would like to have great switch time, but also intend to use on long trips.

the 1998 dodge cummins seems to have less space in the area firewall drivers side, i would love to see anyone elses layout, to find a location for the heated VO filter, and heat exchanger.
also plans for the system

Plantdrive VM2 filter system
Hydraforce valves - 3 valve system
FP heat exchanger
AN fittings - aluminum or steel fittings only
HIH vo fuel line
aluminum tank in the back http://www.boydwelding.com/products/

, with hot fox pickup, and isspro sending unit.

welcome any help from those that have installed system in the dodge with ABS brake system.

thanks,
88tlc

Postby mike_belben » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:43 am

i mounted mine near the turbo. there are detailed pictures in my thread, its in the database here.
mike_belben

Postby 88tlc » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:33 am

mike_belben wrote:i mounted mine near the turbo. there are detailed pictures in my thread, its in the database here.

thanks i looked through your set up, and it is positioned well. the heat exchanger close to the turbo is intended to pick up more convective heat exchange, in addition to the coolant exchange.

some good options, but it is rather far away from the lift pump, injection pump and diesel filter, increasing the time of purge or distance from heat exchanger to IP. like to get it close as possible to minimize the hot veg cooling...
88tlc

Postby mike_belben » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:52 am

that was my initial concern when i set it up this way, but i reasoned that because of my short trip driving, i would be better off doing a longer purge than a longer warm up and subsequently never using the veggie system.

during the install i had to troubleshoot a fuel issue and fed the lift pump direct from a clear diesel jug, while return went to the tank. i can tell you with absolute certainty that these pumps move some serious fuel even at idle. moving the exchanger over added about 8 feet of line. i doubt that would amount to 20 seconds extra purge at idle, maybe 5 if you blip the throttle.

ive got a clear final feed line after the FPHE so i will get some details on that after i finish the front brake lines this week.
mike_belben

Postby SunWizard » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:56 am

mike_belben wrote:that was my initial concern when i set it up this way, but i reasoned that because of my short trip driving, i would be better off doing a longer purge than a longer warm up and subsequently never using the veggie system.

Warm up time depends only upon warming the large mass of the engine, and the coolant within it, so having the FPHE by the turbo makes no difference at all. You are right that the added lines add little to the purge, but they add more VO that is cold in the lines between FPHE and IP when you first switch over to WVO and that is a drawback.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby mike_belben » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:50 pm

when i contemplated between locating in the fenderwell vs over the turbo, i simply reasoned that the fenderwell would be a region where heat energy would leak from the insulation and and into the cold surrounding environment, but over the 600-1300*F exhaust it would conduct into the relatively cold FPHE. i felt it would also allow me to use a slightly smaller and thus cheaper heat exchanger.

i will let you know how it works when the brakelines are finished.
mike_belben

what brand of stainless hose + fittings are you running?

Postby penguinjohn » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:12 pm

I am in the process of re-plumbing since my rubber hoses are experiencing a fate similar to yours. I am looking to find AN couplers WITHOUT push-lock ends. I would prefer connections like yours. What style are they, and where did you find them? I am looking at Summit racing, but also want to use a PTFE hose: http://www.discounthydraulichose.com/SAE_100R14A_Teflon_reg_PTFE_Hydraulic_Hose_p/r14-hose.htm

Any suggestestions on where to source connectors?

Thanks!

John M.
penguinjohn

Return to Veggie Oil Conversion Vehicle Database