a PHOto is worth a thousand words

Collecting, filtering and dewatering of WVO SVO vegetable oil. For Biodiesel producers too.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

a PHOto is worth a thousand words

Postby truthstar » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:48 am

So I wanted to do some testing of viscosity, so I made two mixes to see what would happen.

The jar to the left contains 50WVO/50D and the right 80WVO/20D. The red color is from the dye, as I was using red dye diesel.

I didn't expect to find PHO but I did! It gave me a wake up call to doing a mix in my 300SD this winter. As you can see the 50/50 is pretty thin, with a small layer of PHO at the bottom. While the right 80/20 mix is just about completely gelled and it is obvious there is a large presence of PHO.

Now hopefully someone can help me out with a ballpark estimation of the temperature in my fridge which I have had these for two weeks. We have our dial about 80% to the highest cold point possible.

I had froze these for a few hours before and noticed that the 50/50 mix was gelled, while the 80/20 mix was just about solid.

Let this be a lesson! PHO is no laughing matter!
truthstar

Postby David » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:17 pm

Actually the fats you have shown are nothing I'd be at all concerned about in a Merc.

I did tests with mine and I could run straight fats that were gelled but would still flow ( kinda) with no trouble at all from a cold start.
I found that thre was enough fuel getting through the Filter or already in it, to allow the HE to warm the incoming fuel enough that the engine would run to get things warm before the filters blocked and there was no problem with the fats.

The tests I did were with 100% gelled and very thick fats, no dilution at all but the merc pumps are so powerful they will suck it through no problem. For other vehicles, fats like thismay be a huge problem ( Wouldn't try straight gelled fat in my Nissan that's for sure!) but I have found no difficulty in running them in either of my Mercs.

The fats in the 50% mix are the same as those in the 80% mix, it's just that they are more diluted.
An average frig will sit around 2-4oC So if your ambient temps dont get below That and this is the level of drop out you get, i'd say you have nothing at all to worry about in a merc.

I don't give a damn about what might or could happen until a significant group of people can tell me it HAS happened to them.
Until then, it's just more endless gloom and doom Veg folk law.
David

Re: a PHOto is worth a thousand words

Postby Renntag » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:02 pm

truthstar wrote:Now hopefully someone can help me out with a ballpark estimation of the temperature in my fridge which I have had these for two weeks. We have our dial about 80% to the highest cold point possible.

Only if you can estimate how long it will take to bake muffins in my oven.

I'd say your fridge is cold. You might just try adding a thermometer. There are many available for little expense.
Ask me about online scheduling and email marketing.
PlanGenius, better business efficiency, sign up now.
Renntag

Return to Vegetable oil Collecting, Filtering and Dewatering