12v cummins filter change

For discussing the modifications needed for diesel vehicles to run with 2 tank veggie oil conversions.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

12v cummins filter change

Postby mtgrease » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:38 pm

This is a question for all the 12v guys who have their systems set up to push rather than pull through the filters like Suns. I have run on grease for 3 years now with no issues but recently have been having starting problems so I figured it was time to change my diesel filter. It has been a long time since it was done. I have been fighting getting it started for 2 days now due to the amount of air that must be pushed through the system. Does anyone have any tricks that may help. I have pushed the primer hundreds of time with no luck and yes I did pre-fill the filter when it was changed. I am not sure what to try next. The truck ran fine with lots of power before the change so I cannot imagine my lift pump is bad. Please Help
mtgrease

Postby SunWizard » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:29 am

Starting problems are usually an air leak, most likely at the preheater/strainer before the lift pump. Many people bypass that since it is a hard to fix air leak spot.

There is an air bleed bolt on top of the stock filter, you can crack that and crank until only fuel comes out. You can also loosen a few injector lines to help get air out. Re-tighten them as soon as it acts like it may start.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Prime

Postby harrisonm3 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:06 am

Did you clean and or replace the fuel pre heater / strainer?
Have an awesome day
Converted Dodge 2500 97 4x4,
3 valve looped return, Heated pickup, TIH, 31 FPHE.
http://veggiescout.blogspot.com/
harrisonm3

Postby mike_belben » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:23 am

agreed. the heater and the elbow from strainer to pump are the first places to look. after that check the lines above the tank.
mike_belben

Return to 2 Tank veggie oil conversion and General discussion