12 valve problems

For discussing the modifications needed for diesel vehicles to run with 2 tank veggie oil conversions.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

12 valve problems

Postby Ontario » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:46 pm

This is kinda directed to Sunwizard, but if anyone else has comments any input would be appreciated.

I've read a ton of your stuff and I have to applaud your work and support of wvo. From my experience to date, the whole wvo thing would be a lot simpler if more people had the same attitude related to sharing information.

So here's my big question.... I'm working on converting my 97 5.9 and I've hit a couple road blocks. I had a ton of problems priming the system so what I planned to do kinda got over shadowed by getting the truck back on the road.

I currently have the diesel filter re-plumbed between the LP and diesel tank. This I believe is causing problems with cold starting. (I know, what your going to say about push vs. pull...) It's a long story but I can a least get to work...

I'd like to move the filter back but it's going to be tough to find enough room. I wanted to move it for space reasons, but it kinda opened a can of worms. I'm planning to use a winn heated 100 GPH filter for WVO but again space is going to be tricky. Any ideas?

On your conversion, how did you plumb in after the second solenoid? Did you just put a T in? What about tapping the return into the supply, would this not have to be a check valve?

Sorry for all the questions, but I appreciate the assistance. Cheers
Ontario

Re: 12 valve problems

Postby SunWizard » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:21 pm

Ontario wrote:I currently have the diesel filter re-plumbed between the LP and diesel tank. This I believe is causing problems with cold starting. (I know, what your going to say about push vs. pull...) It's a long story but I can a least get to work...

Sounds like an air leak which is even more common with the filter under vacuum.
I'd like to move the filter back but it's going to be tough to find enough room. I wanted to move it for space reasons, but it kinda opened a can of worms. I'm planning to use a winn heated 100 GPH filter for WVO but again space is going to be tricky. Any ideas?

There is plenty of space on mine which should be like yours, see my pics of the filter spot in the converted vehicles section.
On your conversion, how did you plumb in after the second solenoid? Did you just put a T in?

Yes if you mean just before the IP. After the 2nd valve are the filters, then the 2 lines tee before IP. See my detailed diagram.
What about tapping the return into the supply, would this not have to be a check valve?

No.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby Ontario » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:02 am

Thanks for the reply. With the T from the return to the supply WVO line are you using a simple barbed T? I would have thought that this would create problems drawing pressure from the return. Just want to clarify, Thanks.
Ontario

Postby SunWizard » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:08 am

Ontario wrote:Thanks for the reply. With the T from the return to the supply WVO line are you using a simple barbed T?

Yes.
I would have thought that this would create problems drawing pressure from the return.

Both the supply and return are 0 psi (connected directly to a tank that is open vented to air) so what would be the problem?
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby mike_belben » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:18 am

check your fuel heater by removing it (17mm wrench, 8mm allen) and blowing into the connector. if you can blow air, its junk. probably is. next check the hose from strainer to pump for rot. its $29 from cummins. lines on top the tank can rot. overflow valves die. shutoff rack gets stuck.

does your pump say "carter" on the side facing firewall?
mike_belben

Return to 2 Tank veggie oil conversion and General discussion