Would this pump work for WVO collection?

Collecting, filtering and dewatering of WVO SVO vegetable oil. For Biodiesel producers too.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Would this pump work for WVO collection?

Postby fishflyguy » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:03 am

Hello all I would love some feedback or better yet experience on an idea I had for a WVO collection pump. I have looked at a lot of pump set ups but have found shortcomings in most of them. Not long enough hose, not enough GPM, short duty cycle, CPAP construction, etc etc. etc.

Why couldn’t I run a 3/4 - 1" NPT heavy duty rotary pump coupled to a 3-5 horsepower engine by a belt drive? I would have the engine geared to the pump rating by the two pulleys, one on the engine the other on the pump. I would also have this set up so I could start the engine up without tension on the pulleys. Then have some mechanical way of tightening the belt drive up such as having the pump on a pad and ratcheting tight. Once the belt is at operating tension I would them throttle up the engine to maximum horsepower/ pump RPMS then suck away. By going with a set up like this I would be able to have 30-50' of 3/4 - 1" hose with a clear solid section at the oil source on the hose. I would go with clear/opaque plastic 55gal barrels so I can see how fast I am filling them. I would have this whole setup mounted on one pad that I can lift and throw in the back of my truck next to the oil collection barrels. It seems like this set up would be fast, fairly quite, reliable, and fairly bomb proof. This one rotary pump I found on e-bay had a maximum PSI of 200. So my only worry would this set up be able to suck oil say at 60 deg F threw 30-50' of hose with a respectable GPM say on the order of 12-15 GPM?

This is my first post with pics so hopefully the pics load.

Please chime in with any and all 2 cents.......

Here are the specs on the pump

Specifications
Displacement 0.00947 gal/rev
Slip 0.0026 gpm/psi
Drive Speed 1725 RPM Max
Pressure 200 PSI max
Delivery 15.7 GPM @ Max. RPM and Pressure
Input 3.1 HP
Cylindrical Keyed Shaft Size 3/4" x 1 3/4"
Key-way Size 3/16" x 3/32" x 1 1/2"
Port Size 3/4" NPT
Material Gray iron housing and steel gears
Bearings Replaceable sleeve type
Seal Mechanical shaft type.
Lubrication Self-lubricating using fluid being pumped.
Rotation Clockwise
Fluid Viscosities Clean fluids having good lubrication qualities recommended.
Suction Lift Up to 15" Hg recommended.
Drive: Direct connected, belt or chain permissible
Integral Relief Valve: None

Hold my beer and watch this.....
fishflyguy

Postby SunWizard » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:57 pm

Yes you could probably make this work but you would need a suction screen which is a pain due to clogging.

For an engine driven pump, a ready made trash pump is my favorite for collection. This way you can suck up chunks (no inlet screen needed) without damaging the pump. No assembly required, and you can find them used for cheap. I use a trash pump with a 4hp honda engine and it works great, very fast (>20gpm) and I put long hoses on it. Even a 2hp honda trash pump would be good.

Here are more ideas:
Recommend a pump for moving oil
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby fishflyguy » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:35 am

Sun,

Thanks for the reply. Yes I would use a pre screen of some sort on the suction wand. I have looked up those trash pumps, but I thought you don't want to use a centrifugal pump for sucking WVO. I always thought the impeller would aid in emulsifying the oil hence why people go with a rotary pump. Also I was under the impression rotary pumps were more hearty than centrifugal pumps. Cheap pump cheap impeller.

Just a new guy thinking out loud!!!
fishflyguy

Postby SunWizard » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:20 am

fishflyguy wrote:Yes I would use a pre screen of some sort on the suction wand.

That's a bad idea on a high flow pump (>5gpm) it will greatly restrict the flow rate and clog too quickly.
I always thought the impeller would aid in emulsifying the oil hence why people go with a rotary pump.

Any pump will emulsify if you hit a water layer.
Also I was under the impression rotary pumps were more hearty than centrifugal pumps. Cheap pump cheap impeller.

That all depends on the pump. Trash pumps are more hearty than any other. They have to be, they are rated to pump gravel up to a given size.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby fishflyguy » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:53 am

Sun,

I guess a trash pump it is. They are def. inexpensive for what they say they can do.

Cheers :D
fishflyguy

Postby David » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:40 am

My favourite is still my modified Chev Pump.

It is small and lightweight and a hell of a lot quieter than any petrol driven pump. Also being electric i don't have to worry about fumes, hot exhausts and other things as i put the pump and drum in the back of my 4Wd.

I get 20 GPH with the chev pump thanks to putting 1" inlet and outlets right in front of the gears themselves to allow max flow. I'm just driving mine with a 300W motor but I'm going to try a 500W soon. It's still the same speed but I think the extra power will allow for less speed drop especially on the thicker stuff so the output will increase.
I'm building another one and going to use a 1 HP motor and use belts to gear the thing up and see what I can get out of it.

I don't have any screens and debris hasn't been a problem save for a plastic bag I sucked up which stalled it but I reversed it by hand initially then with the motor and spat the shreds into an old oil drum then continued on with my collection. The pump will also pull fats so thick they hold their shape when coming out of the hose.

I did try a trash pump once but as the standard oil container here is a 44 gal ( 55? US) drum and most places only have one and they are rarely full, I found the trash pump was far less user friendly than the electric pump.

I also found that because i do a lot of collecting early in the morning and on weekends before the shop owners hinder access with their vehicles, the sond of a petrol engine attracted a lot of attention from people wondering why and who the hell was starting up a lawn mower at that hour. This was especially evident when collecting from shops that had apartments above which also tend to bounce the noise around.

If I were picking up from Full IBC's, then I'd have a trash pump for sure but for the collecting I do, definately the electric is the way to go.

This is a vid I took of the pump in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8o52BYTEau4

I don't give a damn about what might or could happen until a significant group of people can tell me it HAS happened to them.
Until then, it's just more endless gloom and doom Veg folk law.
David

Postby Renntag » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:48 pm

The Chevy pump is a great 'cheap' option.

The trash pump is great, also consider a diaphragm pump as they are superior to the centrifugal trash pump.
Ask me about online scheduling and email marketing.
PlanGenius, better business efficiency, sign up now.
Renntag

Return to Vegetable oil Collecting, Filtering and Dewatering