94 to 94.5 powerstoke IP question

A description and pics of your SVO WVO Vegetable Oil conversion, help the next person who gets that model.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

94 to 94.5 powerstoke IP question

Postby fishflyguy » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:46 am

I was looking for the advice of some folks of a good way to tell the difference between a 94 and 94.5 PS. I am possibly looking to purchase one and I want to make sure I have a 94 with the mechanical IP. I think the 94.5 is when they went to the HEUI IP which I don't want to deal with. So is it possible to look in the engine and be able to physically tell the difference?
Hold my beer and watch this.....
fishflyguy

94 engine

Postby ka7sqd_mike » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:54 am

I just bought a '94 Ford 7.3 and learned how the differences go initially. First, the 7.3 non-Powerstroke is called the 7.3 Indirect Injection (or IDI) Turbo engine. The Powerstroke is called the 7.3 Direct Injection (or DI) engine. I don't think they actually made any non-turbo that year, but did reserve a VIN code for it (code F). The 7.3 IDI turbo (non-Powerstroke) is VIN code K. The 7.3 DI (Powerstroke) is VIN code M.
The fuel filter on the IDI is a canister-style unit (kinda looks like an oil filter) in front of/ above the right valve cover, with a screw-on bottom piece for the water separator drain and water sensor. I'm not sure where the DI unit is, but it uses a replaceable element instead of the whole canister.
The oil filters are basically the same, but the DI (Powerstroke) filter is a bit bigger (taller). It will fit the IDI motor, but will be a snug fit. It holds a LOT more crap from the oil, so I put one on mine.
I think the air filter box for the Powerstroke has it in big letters, whereas the IDI just says TURBO on it. I'm not totally positive on this one, since I only have the repair books and internet pics to go from. Hope I was some help.....
ka7sqd_mike

Return to Veggie Oil Conversion Vehicle Database