330 gallon tote of polymerized oil-what to do?

Collecting, filtering and dewatering of WVO SVO vegetable oil. For Biodiesel producers too.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

330 gallon tote of polymerized oil-what to do?

Postby powerstroke73L » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:18 pm

So way back when before I knew what I was doing I filled a 330 gallon tote with unfiltered oil that I had settled for a while in barrels. I used a SBC drill pump to skim off the clear oil and left the PHO/fats in the bottom of the barrels and sent them off to a guy who made biodiesel. The tote was filled to the top and kept inside, but of course it was unfiltered and had at least some water left in it. When unscrewed the top of the tote I smelled the infamous paint smell, but I thought I'd give it a shot in the centrifuge. My setup is basically identical to SunWizard's in that I have a heater pipe with two elements, top and bottom. Long story short the oil ended up turning into rubber around the bottom element and clogged the pipe. Luckily my centrifuge pump has a built in bypass so that wasn't damaged but the top element was ruined since it ran dry and began to burn the oil now stuck in the pipe-close call. When I disassembled the heater pipe it literally looked like someone had poured liquid gasket material into the pipe and it had begun to harden.

I have a steady source of oil and this was merely oil that I had set aside as a "reserve," so it's no big loss, but now I don't know what to do with it. Is there any way I can use it at all? I read back on some of Sun's posts about poly where he mentioned that in some cases poly can be filtered out and then burned quickly before it has a chance to set in again-does that sound like it could be an option here? I burn about 30 gallons of oil a week and I don't have a heated tank (it's a Vegistroke-just a heated pickup). Again, I'm not so much concerned about the loss of the oil, rather the fact that I can't possibly move a full 330 gallon tote from my garage. I suppose I could pump it out little by little into drums from the carwash, but then I have to find a way to get rid of those-my town's hazardous waste pickup might take them-I got rid of a bunch of cubees of PHO that way last year. Anyway, I'd be grateful for any guidance/suggestions!
powerstroke73L

Postby SunWizard » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:40 pm

That sounds like some terrible oil. It would be interesting to see how bad the FFA is. I wouldn't use it. Find someone who has a dirt road and let them pour it on during warm, dry weather and it forms nice organic VO pavement after a few days. Or find a renderer who wants it.

It would be bad for the town to bear the expense of having to dispose of it as hazardous since its not. And they might send someone to see what other 'hazards' you have around.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby powerstroke73L » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:48 pm

SunWizard wrote:That sounds like some terrible oil. It would be interesting to see how bad the FFA is.

I poured some of the oil into a small glass jar and could see the telltale "grains" floating in the oil. Is this what poly is? Small bits of polymerized oil floating in otherwise good oil? If so I could run this oil through a 150 micron cotton string filter (I found a very cheap source for them so it's no matter if I clog a few) and then CF what comes out the other side? This is all assuming that the FFA is not off the charts.
powerstroke73L

Postby SunWizard » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:41 pm

powerstroke73L wrote:I poured some of the oil into a small glass jar and could see the telltale "grains" floating in the oil. Is this what poly is? Small bits of polymerized oil floating in otherwise good oil?

Yes but most of the bits are too small to see. Whether the rest is good is questionable, and FFA is the best way to test. Its probably no good.
If so I could run this oil through a 150 micron cotton string filter (I found a very cheap source for them so it's no matter if I clog a few) and then CF what comes out the other side? This is all assuming that the FFA is not off the charts.

Yes but I like a 150-200 micron screen better on all my WVO before any CF run since it will clog, and its easily cleaned once clogged by scraping the chunks off and keep going. You could clog many filters with 300 gallons.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby powerstroke73L » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:49 pm

SunWizard wrote:
powerstroke73L wrote:I poured some of the oil into a small glass jar and could see the telltale "grains" floating in the oil. Is this what poly is? Small bits of polymerized oil floating in otherwise good oil?

Yes but most of the bits are too small to see. Whether the rest is good is questionable, and FFA is the best way to test. Its probably no good.
If so I could run this oil through a 150 micron cotton string filter (I found a very cheap source for them so it's no matter if I clog a few) and then CF what comes out the other side? This is all assuming that the FFA is not off the charts.

Yes but I like a 150-200 micron screen better on all my WVO before any CF run since it will clog, and its easily cleaned once clogged by scraping the chunks off and keep going. You could clog many filters with 300 gallons.

All good points-we heat our home entirely with a central wood furnace-perhaps its time to rig up a drip burner like the one you detailed in the space heating section. I wonder how much wood 330 gallons is equivalent to?
powerstroke73L

Postby SunWizard » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:26 pm

powerstroke73L wrote:I wonder how much wood 330 gallons is equivalent to?

Good question. I did a few searches, and it depends on the type of wood and WVO. Nice chart here: http://chimneysweeponline.com/howood.htm
What I burn is ponderosa pine:
2380 #/cord, 14.8 MBTU
WVO is ~120,000 BTU/gal x 330 = 39.6 MBTU

And 39.6/14.8 = 2.67 cords. But the WVO will burn more efficiently than wood so its > 3 cords.

The biggest thing I like about burning WVO is that once its lit I can leave it going all day without having to watch and re-stoke it like with wood. Check out the thread here on the new siphon burner I use in my woodstove, its much better than the drip. And its much cleaner burning than wood or drip.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Return to Vegetable oil Collecting, Filtering and Dewatering