Fill hose that will stay flexible in cold temperatures

If new, go here first. Beginner questions, Forum help, suggestions and more FAQ.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Fill hose that will stay flexible in cold temperatures

Postby powerstroke73L » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:28 am

I'm redoing my fill station in the garage and I'd love to find a hose that will stand up to SVO and also stay flexible in the cold. I have a clear PVC hose now that works fine, but once it gets down below 40 or so it damn near freezes solid. I don't think regular old black (Buna-N) rubber hose will work because canola oil destroys it-my sources are a mix of canola, soy, and peanut. Anybody have a good suggestion?
powerstroke73L

Postby SunWizard » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:35 am

Black rubber hose works fine for me for 5 years with a mix of canola-soy-sunflower-safflower. Mostly canola and it hasn't hurt the hose yet. I think the issue with canola/buna-n is exaggerated or requires conditions I never see. Or maybe since my black rubber is fuel rated hose, it has some protection.
Last edited by SunWizard on Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby powerstroke73L » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:39 am

SunWizard wrote:Black rubber hose works fine for me for 5 years with a mix of canola-soy-sunflower-safflower. Mostly canola and it hasn't hurt the hose yet. I think the issue with canola/buna-n is exaggerated or requires conditions I never see.

Real world experience beats what I've read on forums-buna-n it is-good thing too because it's a hell of a lot cheaper than viton.
powerstroke73L

Return to Beginners section and FAQ