question about davco filters

For discussing the modifications needed for diesel vehicles to run with 2 tank veggie oil conversions.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

question about davco filters

Postby Luckyr » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:02 am

I just bought and installed a davco 382 coolant heated filter. The theory behind them is the filter element is on the top and as the filter gets clogged, the fuel level rises up the filter element, which you can see through the plastic cover. Well after running on veg for maybe 15 miles today the fuel level was already halfway up the element. Is this normal or is my oil not clean enough? I settle and centrifuge it before it goes through the davco which itself is 10 micron. Any ideas?
1994 Dodge 3500, flatbed, 5.9 cummins, flatbed, dually, 5spd, all around farm truck
Luckyr

Re: question about davco filters

Postby Lighthousebus » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:19 pm

Luckyr wrote:I just bought and installed a davco 382 coolant heated filter. The theory behind them is the filter element is on the top and as the filter gets clogged, the fuel level rises up the filter element, which you can see through the plastic cover. Well after running on veg for maybe 15 miles today the fuel level was already halfway up the element. Is this normal or is my oil not clean enough? I settle and centrifuge it before it goes through the davco which itself is 10 micron. Any ideas?

totally normal... they usually fill up about halfway and then slowly rise from there... Some of the fleetguard filters even fill up almost all the way instantly and then take thousands of miles before restriction. been using them for about 3 years. bout 30,000 miles on veg.
Lighthousebus

Postby bmalachuk » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:34 am

I use a 7micron filter in my davco, and the level in the clear portion usually corresponds directly to how full my 80 gallon fuel tank is. My filter is mounted at the same level as my tank, and when full my filter will be almost 100% covered. As I get down to the bottom of the tank I end up with about 1in of oil covering the base of the filter.

Also with a Davco 382 you can modify them so they have 100% coolant flow all the time. This will help keep your oil in them much hotter and it will flow better thru the element. The coolant style ones have a thermostat built into them which will limit the temps to 90F, and if you don't change that, you can be cutting off the coolant supply to your entire heating loop.

Tis a simple fix, just take the thermostat part our and remove the small metal pin in the middle, then reassemble. I get nice hot oil in mine, prolly round 130-140 or so. Hot enough to not want to keep my hand on it.
bmalachuk

Return to 2 Tank veggie oil conversion and General discussion