My Dieselcraft centrifuge is not getting up to speed.

Collecting, filtering and dewatering of WVO SVO vegetable oil. For Biodiesel producers too.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

My Dieselcraft centrifuge is not getting up to speed.

Postby all_grown_up » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:21 pm

I recently replaced the motor and pump for my centrifuge.

Everything has been working fine with the centrifuge reaching the comfortable hum at 80PSI and the good vibrations as it powers down.

Today however I noticed it wasn't getting up to full speed. This is obvious both from the sound on startup and on shutdown. I could immediately remove the cover without adverse consequences.

The pressure gauge is right before the centrifuge and is at 80 PSI once I turn on the valve that feeds the centrifugue The little nozzels in the centrifuge are clear. So are the holes that feed the centrifuge. I know this because they sprayed hot oil all over the garage when I tested it.

I have been cleaning oil for 2.5 years this way.

Could someone tell me what I am missing?
all_grown_up

Re: My Dieselcraft centrifuge is not getting up to speed.

Postby fivelessonslearned » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:19 am

Any update or solution for this? I'm having the exact same symptoms. Good pressure, great heat, but the centrifuge seems to be spinning very slowly, not vibrating much at all, and making none of the characteristic shutdown sounds. Any advice would be great. Had been centrifuging fine and nothing changed in the system, so I'm baffled.
1989 Ford E-250 Econoline Club Wagon XLT
7.3L Navistar Diesel w/ WVO Conversion
Ray-Wel Power Plus MK II Towing Package
fivelessonslearned

Postby SunWizard » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:58 am

Check that the big o-ring is sealing properly. If the top of the CF rotor gets bent a little, or the nut is not tight, the oring can bulge out and prevent the oil getting sprayed out the nozzles.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby fivelessonslearned » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:53 pm

Thanks for the prompt response Sunwizard. I'd checked for any o-ring issues prior finding this thread and couldn't see any potential issues, as well as tried adjusting how tight both the rotor and the centrifuge housing were. After posting I read the troubleshooting section in the Dieselcraft installation guide for the OC-20, and it recommended some steps in situations where the rotor isn't spinning properly. Given that my pressure and temps were both good, I did the "bottle test" to ensure that there was no blockage in the center shaft that the rotor spins on or that the internal piston wasn't stuck. After putting an empty water bottle upside down over the center shaft, turning the pump on and closing the ball valve a bit to introduce pressure, I got a steady stream and had to turn off the pump before even reaching 30 PSI, indicating that there wasn't any internal blockage or piston sticking.

The centrifuge did however begin to spin again at proper speeds upon reassembly, so I can only assume that there must have been some minor blockage in the shaft or centrifuge housing somewhere that was able to escape with the bottle test (my issue wasn't with the rotor not spinning at all, just spinning very slowly). The oil that shot into the bottle at first seemed a bit darker/murkier than what followed, and since it's working fine again it must have been some kind of blockage.

Hope this helps anyone with a similar issue going forward!
1989 Ford E-250 Econoline Club Wagon XLT
7.3L Navistar Diesel w/ WVO Conversion
Ray-Wel Power Plus MK II Towing Package
fivelessonslearned

Return to Vegetable oil Collecting, Filtering and Dewatering