Newbie Questions...To verify if I can do the Same...?

Collecting, filtering and dewatering of WVO SVO vegetable oil. For Biodiesel producers too.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Newbie Questions...To verify if I can do the Same...?

Postby 64crew4x4 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:46 am

Hello to all from Oregon...
I recently got my First Diesel Truck...a 93 Dodge Cummins Rotary pump
12 valve...

I bumped into a guy who told me that he was running a Gravity fed set up to recycle waste Vegi oil in his 92 Dodge Cummins...

His story to me was that he had 3 Tanks set up from top to bottom....he pumped waste oil in at the top, and then let gravity drain the oil thru a filter to a middle tank, then gravity filter to a bottom tank...

He then pumped that filtered oil into a 60 gal Bed tank on his truck, and cut it 50/50 with Diesel....? So 30 gals of Diesel became 60 gals to run in the truck.... He starts the truck on the strait tank of Diesel, then switches over to the Blend....and reverses at the end of the day....

He supposedly has been running the truck this way for almost 2 yrs....???

My main questions are this....

# 1..) can this type of gravity Filtration be done on waste oil in a 35-75 degree climate....? I know the warmer the climate the better...

# 2..) if it can be done, What kind of Filters should be used...?

# 3..) If I filter used restaurant waste oil, and then cut it 50/ 50 will there be a need to run it in a Heated tank...?

I am a Mechanic And Fabricator, but green to this Stuff, so I am here to learn.....If explained to me, I can and will understand it....

My Plans and Goals are to run my bio/blended oil in my Truck on long road trips....If I need to build a Tank with a Heater built into it, I want to know before hand.....I plan on building a 75-100 Gal Bed mounted unit....
I will use Block water heater to warm it, so I figure to run 5/8 to 3/4 stainless loop line thru the tank end to end...

If I run this set up will I need to run a Completely separate fuel line set up, or can I tee into the exhisting lines....?

I have access to 5 330 gallon totes....If the Gravity set up is good to go, then I will build a Rack system to gravity feed these into one then the other....

If any of you have any good links to Truck bed Tank build set ups, or Waste oil Filtering set ups, please post them here for me.....

Many thanks In advance....
Sorry for the long Rant...:)
John in Oregon....
64crew4x4

Re: Newbie Questions...To verify if I can do the Same...?

Postby SunWizard » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:23 am

Hi and welcome. Many here are running blends, see the Single tank and blending section.
64crew4x4 wrote:Hello to all from Oregon...
# 1..) can this type of gravity Filtration be done on waste oil in a 35-75 degree climate....? I know the warmer the climate the better...

Yes. Cold works better to separate the PHO and fats which can plug your filter at temps below 20F. See the cold upflow settling thread.
# 2..) if it can be done, What kind of Filters should be used...?

Most use a series of fuel filters of finer microns, ending with a 5 or 10 micron which is the same micron as our trucks use.
# 3..) If I filter used restaurant waste oil, and then cut it 50/ 50 will there be a need to run it in a Heated tank...?

Only below 20-25F. I blend with 20% diesel in my mercedes 300D (I call it V80/D20)
My Plans and Goals are to run my bio/blended oil in my Truck on long road trips....If I need to build a Tank with a Heater built into it, I want to know before hand.....I plan on building a 75-100 Gal Bed mounted unit....
I will use Block water heater to warm it, so I figure to run 5/8 to 3/4 stainless loop line thru the tank end to end...

Its better to not heat the entire tank, since that causes polymerization of the WVO. See examples of the best way to heat with a FPHE in the converted vehicles section.
If I run this set up will I need to run a Completely separate fuel line set up, or can I tee into the exhisting lines....?

Not for blending. My heated 2 tank WVO conversion on my Dodge payed for itself after 1 road trip compared to blending, since I run 100% WVO and save the cost and hassle of blending.
If any of you have any good links to Truck bed Tank build set ups, or Waste oil Filtering set ups, please post them here for me.....

Read more of the forums, most posts here answer your questions and show you the many ways to do this.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Return to Vegetable oil Collecting, Filtering and Dewatering