Non-CF WVO filtering

Collecting, filtering and dewatering of WVO SVO vegetable oil. For Biodiesel producers too.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Non-CF WVO filtering

Postby Freeman » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:37 pm

I ran a DC CF (replica of SunWizards) on a cross country trek. Set it and forget it was great, but 8hrs of noise was not convenient on many stops.

I have a friend who runs a taxi service. He advertised his taxis as running on Bio Diesel, he was actually running WVO. He would put 30 - 50K on these cars (mid 90's Mercedes) each year. He did go through an IP on one of his cars but overall he was putting a couple hundred thousand miles on the cars with no problems. I should add he was not running WVO all the time, but well over 50%. He has quit the veg. and bought all hybrids now.

His filtering set up was very simple. A heated 55gal drum, a pump, 2 filter and a dewatering filter and the oil ended up in a another 55gal drum. I realize all pump and filter setups are similar to the one I described. Is there a thread that discusses this kind of filtering system to answer questions like.

decent quality pumps?
Pump gpm relative to filter what a filter can handle?
cleanable/reusable filters? (how low micron do they get)
popular dewatering filters?
Basically who is selling decent quality products? and what systems are people having good luck with?

Is anyone using a setup like SunWizards CF, pumping from the bottom of the barrel through a filter and back into the same barrel?

Thanks

Free
Freeman

Re: Non-CF WVO filtering

Postby coachgeo » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:45 pm

Freeman wrote:...
Is anyone using a setup like SunWizards CF, pumping from the bottom of the barrel through a filter and back into the same barrel?

Thanks

Free
usually dont pump back into same drum because the incoming stirs up what has settled out.

Here is some key words off the top of my head to try when searchng that will get you closer to threads in here on NON CF filtering.

Sock
"Filter Housing"
settling
upflow
"cold settling"
Life; It's all in the Balance

coachgeo

Postby David » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:30 am

I have a 44 gallon drum turned upside down and the bottom cut out.
I have a large impeller pump screwed straight into the 2" bung with a nipple fitting.

The output of the pump is T'ed with one side going through a 1 UM water filter housing and the other side going to a 1/4" nozzle which squirts straight back into teh drum under pressure and aerates the oil which causes the water to evaporate out. I have a small fan over the top of the drum to move away the moist air created by the bubbling.

Using well settled oil I can filter and dry a batch in under 30 min but I give it the half hour just because it's convinent to time and overcomes any ambient temp or humidity variations.

As for the specifics of your question:

decent quality pumps?
Lot of conjecture, I use a large impeller pump which is better on oil than the small impeller pumps that are widely used in the US. At the end of the day you guys get stuff so cheap, juswt use whatever and replace it if and when it breaks.
I found the Cheap chinese pumps still process tens of thousands of L of oil before they burn out.

Pump gpm relative to filter what a filter can handle?
Dunno, don't care Dosen't matter. A filter will handle the pressure of a centrifugal pump. have used water filters and bag filters and never had a problem .

cleanable/reusable filters? (how low micron do they get)
Tried a reuseable water type filter, more hassel and mess to clean than it was worth. Chuched it and went back to the regular disposeable kind which easily filter in excess of 3000L and cost me $6. Who cares about reusing when filtering costs $2 for 1000L or 3 months supply for me ?
I use 1 Um filters but sometimes if I can't get them I have to use 5Um.
I only have one filter in my system and don't see the point of staged filtering.

popular dewatering filters?
Huh?
Never heard of one unless you mean the racor type which are much too expensive and limited in water capacity to be doing anything but on raod de watering with. There are better, cheaper methods of dewatering than filters.

Basically who is selling decent quality products? and what systems are people having good luck with?

All variable and different. Lots of people like heat and settle, i like long term settleing and evaporative dewatering. Everyone seems to have their own prefered method, some straightforward and simple, some mind boggling in their complexity, setup cost and power consumption.
Like everyone else you will probably try a few different things then find something you like and stay with that.

I don't give a damn about what might or could happen until a significant group of people can tell me it HAS happened to them.
Until then, it's just more endless gloom and doom Veg folk law.
David

Return to Vegetable oil Collecting, Filtering and Dewatering