Best beginner WVO vehicle?

If new, go here first. Beginner questions, Forum help, suggestions and more FAQ.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Best beginner WVO vehicle?

Postby Jared » Wed May 04, 2011 12:34 pm

Hi,

So I've been pursuing these forums for awhile now, as well as doing a lot of other research online. I'm wanting to start the process of collecting/processing WVO and converting a vehicle this summer or fall. Since My wife and I only have one truck right now I'll need to buy a second one to play with. Do you have any suggestions on a type/model of older vehicle that will be reliable enough to put a WVO system in and still pretty cheap ($1,000-$1,500).

I've heard that the older Mercedes' and Ford's with the 7.3L Powerstroke are easier to convert than most. Is that true?

Thanks,
Jared
No WVO vehicle yet... Looking.
Jared

Re: Best beginner WVO vehicle?

Postby SunWizard » Wed May 04, 2011 4:08 pm

Jared wrote:I've heard that the older Mercedes' and Ford's with the 7.3L Powerstroke are easier to convert than most. Is that true?

<95 mercedes and 94-98.5 Dodge cummins are the easiest and toughest engines. They are almost the same to convert since they both have an inline Bosch IP and tough piston lift pump. Next would be the other years of dodge, then pre-powerstroke <94 Fords but they have a weak IP. Then the powerstrokes. You won't find a Dodge or powerstroke for under $1500. Lots of 80-85 mercs. for that price.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby Jared » Wed May 04, 2011 5:29 pm

Thanks for the info. Looks like I'll be looking at mostly MB's.
Jared

Postby coachgeo » Thu May 05, 2011 1:21 pm

Older VW rabbits too? Pre electronic/computer mess ones.

All these Sun and I mention; except the trucks, are poaky slugs. Trucks are less so but more fuel gobblers. The 300sd maybe the least poaky of them all.

Where in general are you located?

best of luck to you.
Last edited by coachgeo on Thu May 05, 2011 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life; It's all in the Balance

coachgeo

Postby Jared » Thu May 05, 2011 2:04 pm

Right now I'm in Massachusetts, but by the time I start this project I'll have moved to southern Illinois (later this summer).

I would love to have a truck because I've always had a truck and then I could put a large tank in the bed for extended trips. But I just don't think I can afford that right now (newly married and starting grad school).

My guess is I'll try and find any old cheap diesel that I can play around with for my first one. After I figure out what I'm doing and have saved some money I can graduate to something newer/better.

If anyone knows someone in southern Illinois or Western Kentucky that has an old MB, VW, etc.. Let me know.

Thanks to you both for your replies,
Jared
Jared

240d mercedes 77 to 84

Postby omar » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:23 pm

240 d Mercedes or 300d Mercedes Manual stick shift with hand crank roll up windows

cast iron head easy install good 1st diy project for wvo
parts are available

have fun
omar
www.omarsales.com
omar
omar

Return to Beginners section and FAQ