Is my oil ready?

Collecting, filtering and dewatering of WVO SVO vegetable oil. For Biodiesel producers too.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Is my oil ready?

Postby Veggie Mike » Thu May 19, 2011 3:03 pm

I centrifuged and heated my wvo using a Sunwizard inspired filtration rig, but the oil remains dark brown.... I put a same in the fridge and it didn't separate into any layers... Any ideas?

My oil is from a chinese food restaurant who uses Messina Vegetable Oil - it doesn't say anything about Partially Hydrogenated on the box...
Thanks in advance
Last edited by Veggie Mike on Thu May 26, 2011 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Veggie Mike

Re: Is this my oil ready?

Postby coachgeo » Thu May 19, 2011 3:38 pm

Veggie Mike wrote:I centrifuged and heated my wvo using a Sunwizard inspired filtration rig, but the oil remains dark brown.... I put a same in the fridge and it didn't separate into any layers... Any ideas?

My oil is from a chinese food restaurant who uses Messina Vegetable Oil - it doesn't say anything about Partially Hydrogenated on the box...
Thanks in advance
Did you test for water in the oil to evaluate how well your CF set up is working for you?

Does it smell rancid or pain thinner-ish orrr?

How much gunk was in the rotor after CF?

Have you CFed again to see if more came out as a test?

If no water and no rancid smell.... sounds good to me?
Life; It's all in the Balance

coachgeo

Postby Veggie Mike » Thu May 19, 2011 6:28 pm

Hot pan test showed no bubbles at all.

The oil smells normal for a Chinese restaurant and it was taking from a pot they cool it in after being changed out of the fryer. It never went to the dumpster.

First cycle through the cf yielded a moderate amount of particulate in the cup and the subsequent 2 tests yield less and barely anything at all.

I'm just a little gun shy, this is my first batch of oil I've tried filtering. I've seen oil the shade of iced tea on these sites and my oil is very dark still.
Veggie Mike

Postby SunWizard » Fri May 20, 2011 8:38 am

Sounds good. The color doesn't tell you much. You can still run it through a 1 or 5 micron filter while pumping it into your vehicle so you feel even safer.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Return to Vegetable oil Collecting, Filtering and Dewatering