just got an 85 bmw 524td going to drive cross country

If new, go here first. Beginner questions, Forum help, suggestions and more FAQ.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

just got an 85 bmw 524td going to drive cross country

Postby cedar » Sun May 22, 2011 7:03 pm

Hello. Im pretty new to this. the car has a grease car system installed. if anyone can point me in the right direction for filtering oil wile on the road that would be really helpful. i don't have much room, basically the trunk/back seat for storing and filtering wile on the road. im thinking 5 gallon buckets? what is possible for de-watering and filtering with this small space? i want to drive it from nyc to seattle. thank you very much for your time here.

cedar.
cedar

Postby SunWizard » Mon May 23, 2011 9:18 pm

Filtering is easy, just pump it through a 5 micron filter, bag or cartridge. Dewatering isn't easy with that small space, and is much more important. See Vegetable oil Collecting, Filtering and Dewatering for many options.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby cedar » Fri May 27, 2011 10:18 am

do you suggest using a pressurized system for filtering, or pouring through? what specific parts? pump, filters etc? best for on the road? i see some info on onboard systems, but it seems like these have been fazed out? is this true. this would be great for me, if i could make it with out putting to much money into it. any suggestions are very helpful.

cedar.
cedar

Postby SunWizard » Fri May 27, 2011 10:43 am

I recommend a centrifuge above any other method, because it dewaters and filters in 1 step. No its not been phased out. But you won't fit that in the back seat easily.

Simplest for a small space is heat and settle overnight for dewatering, hot pan test, then pour through a bag. But its the messiest and slowest. Study the options and choose the trade-offs that you prefer. If you want to pump through a filter, there is a long list of pumps and filters that all work very similar in the links to parts section at:
Links to parts sources- create or upgrade your own kit
There are no filters that will dewater WVO.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby cedar » Fri May 27, 2011 5:40 pm

thanks for the info. do you know if a centrifuge would work on 12v, or would i have to plug it in to 120v? i have some room in the trunk as well.. I found a post as well about an onboard filter that someone got from Mcmaster car. i copied the post below. if this would work this one isn't too expensive 300bucks or so... has anyone else tried this? also i see quite a few housings for filters, but no one seems to spell out how to use these. i figure you get a pump and pump the oil through, what pump for what filter. and can this be done with 12v from the car? with these filters and housings do you start with a course filter then take it out and put in a finer filter? or start with the finish filter?? yup i have a lot of questions. thanks for your effort!!

cedar.
cedar

Postby SunWizard » Fri May 27, 2011 6:20 pm

cedar wrote:thanks for the info. do you know if a centrifuge would work on 12v, or would i have to plug it in to 120v?

Yes if you get a 12v motor which are far more expensive.
i have some room in the trunk as well.. I found a post as well about an onboard filter that someone got from Mcmaster car. i copied the post below. if this would work this one isn't too expensive 300bucks or so... has anyone else tried this?

Not copied anywhere I see, but you can get a filter with head for about $20, so that seems too high.
also i see quite a few housings for filters, but no one seems to spell out how to use these. i figure you get a pump and pump the oil through, what pump for what filter. and can this be done with 12v from the car?

Yes if you buy the right pump. You don't need a housing if you buy a cartridge filter. Housings are for bag filters which last longer before clogging. No one spells it out since it simple plumbing: hose, pump, filter, hose.
with these filters and housings do you start with a course filter then take it out and put in a finer filter? or start with the finish filter??

Not good to take it out, some use 2 filters in a row and replace the coarse one when it clogs. They clog often, which depends on how good your source is.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby cedar » Fri May 27, 2011 7:29 pm

here is the info on the onboard system someone was talking about on another forum. wondering if anyone has experience with something like this...?

Meanwhile, here are the particulars she sent me about the system:Quote:
Originally posted by: ******

Engine -- 1984/85 Quantum Wagon 1.6 lt. Turbo diesel (rebuilt and installed by Justin at Greasecar Veg. Fuel systems in 2001).

Vegetable fuel system -- Designed, manufactured, and installed by Justin Carven at GreaseCar in 2001. Includes 12 gallon WVO tank, onboard inline fuel filter (replace filter every 1000 to 3000 miles), onboard 12 volt diesel pump, 14"X5" Aluminum Filter Houseing with cloth bag filters (1 micron), 6' intake and output hoses, rear bumper extention to carry WVO cans, 8 5-6 gallon plastic "jerry cans". System in excellent condition.

Vegetable oil filter . . . (replace when clogged or every 1000 to 3000 miles).

Refueling veggie filter with onboard pump . . . (wash or replace when clogged).

To purchase onboard pump filter go online to McmasterCarr.com and order 1 micron filter bag, 9844K31. The onboard filter canister was purchased from McMasterCarr.com (630-600-3600), part number 687OK57. The onboard pump was purchased from NorthernTools.com, part number 360. There is a fuse on the pump.

As long as you check out the veggie fuel first the pump and filters work fine. Chinese restaurants and steakhouses have the best fuel. Don't use really old rancid veggie oil or stuff that is full of batter/etc. No lard or trans fat oils either! But those are true of any grease system. You can filter and pump without heating, but it goes quicker if you can heat it first. Of course in summer weather there is no need to heat and the oil flows quickly!

. . . the van interior does not get smelly, though any grease vehicle has a "french fry" smell from the exhaust.
She saved me literally hours of research, and possibly hundreds of dollars spent buying the wrong things by giving me this info, and gave that much detail freely without my even having to ask. The best way to show her my grattitude is to pass it on!!
cedar

Postby cedar » Fri May 27, 2011 7:39 pm

Thanks SunWizard.

is the cartridge filter you refer to one that is kind of like an engine oil filter? screw on the head and pump through. the car i have has one of these under the hood that the oil goes through before it goes into the engine. is this the same type one would use in a system pre filter system. these seem small and do seem like they would clog easily.

Or is it a larger housing?

i see some of the bag type filters have steel rings. and plastic type heads with a pipe fitting. can one put these in a housing and presurize pump the wvo through it? or are these just for using the pipe fitting to feed oil in, but gravity to push the oil through the filter...

thanks for the Wizdom!

cedar
cedar

Postby SunWizard » Fri May 27, 2011 7:48 pm

cedar wrote:is the cartridge filter you refer to one that is kind of like an engine oil filter?

Yes but better with lower micron ratings.
these seem small and do seem like they would clog easily.

You can get many sizes up to about 3' long.
i see some of the bag type filters have steel rings. and plastic type heads with a pipe fitting. can one put these in a housing and presurize pump the wvo through it?

Yes that's what the housings are for.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby cedar » Sat May 28, 2011 10:50 am

SunWizard wrote:
cedar wrote:is the cartridge filter you refer to one that is kind of like an engine oil filter?

Yes but better with lower micron ratings.
these seem small and do seem like they would clog easily.

you mean like this one. this would be a cartridge type yes? but they don't make these in 3' long? these are all the smaller type, like engine oil filter yes? what 12v pump would you recommend for these?

You can get many sizes up to about 3' long.

i see some of the bag type filters have steel rings. and plastic type heads with a pipe fitting. can one put these in a housing and presurize pump the wvo through it?

Yes that's what the housings are for.

like this one
http://filterbag.com/416014B-p32.html
but what kind of 12v pump would work with this.. strong enough?

do you know of any good 12v heaters, that would head a 5 or 10 gal container i could keep in the trunk. im wondering if i get wvo on the road, then i could heat it in this container to dewater it and then do a HPT then filter it through one of these filter housings (bag's or cartridges) with a 12v pump to push it through? does this sound like it could work... not sure with the head dewatering... if it's sloshing around in the trunk.. and not sure which filter pump situation would be best for in the car...

cedar.
cedar

Postby coachgeo » Sat May 28, 2011 12:20 pm

Info you quoted was a 2001 trip. Since then more knowledge about dewatering and the results of NOT dewatering has arose. This is why really no one does it on the road anymore. If I recall right the few who did... made a trip or two then sold the vehicle, in large part to get rid of it cause signs showed that stress on the vehicle engine from the trips really took a toll and figured engine was not going to hang on much longer.

cedar wrote: ...do you know of any good 12v heaters, that would head a 5 or 10 gal container i could keep in the trunk. im wondering if i get wvo on the road, then i could heat it in this container to dewater....
If one exist (pretty sure they dont; unless you custom build it) the juice (energy) it would take to raise the oil to a high enough temp to boil off water via heater, vacuum or combination of, would require a larger alternator than what you have most likely. The juice required will also work the alternator hard; which works the engine harder while driving; which drops your miles per gallon. In the end you won't save any money that way and you'll add wear to alt. and engine.

The reason the number of people who attempt to filter/dewater on the road is way down to 1%..... is good reasons.

Being new at it... IMHO. don't attempt to do this. It will cost you more than diesel would cost you to drive... possibly waaaay more. Inexperience can temporary sideline you, resulting in a hefty tow bill, Bus or flight home, vehicle storage charges, return bus or flight AND auto repair.

Been there... done that. I took the risk sorta. 75% of my fuel was pre-filtered, but... I also knew my engine was the most veg loving engine known to man (MB 617.952 5cyl Turbo diesel) reinstalled into a MB Unimog truck. I was hauling lots and lots of tools too. Also gave myself a 2week window to do it. It took most the two weeks. I was moving back to FL from OH.
Life; It's all in the Balance

coachgeo

Postby SunWizard » Sat May 28, 2011 5:04 pm

cedar wrote:like this one
http://filterbag.com/416014B-p32.html
but what kind of 12v pump would work with this.. strong enough?

A fill-rite 1604 in the link to parts I gave above. Or a home made small block chevy oil pump, search the forum for it.
do you know of any good 12v heaters, that would head a 5 or 10 gal container i could keep in the trunk.

No there are no good 12v heaters, too much power draw. A camping gas or propane stove would be the best way. It won't dewater by settling unless you do it at night while sitting still. And some WVO types like high FFA won't dewater with settling.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Return to Beginners section and FAQ