Running WVO in a late 70s Detroit Diesel 8V92TA DDEC II?

For discussing the modifications needed for diesel vehicles to run with 2 tank veggie oil conversions.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Running WVO in a late 70s Detroit Diesel 8V92TA DDEC II?

Postby bigtone23 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:57 am

I am in a band with a 72 MCI MC-7 with the Detroit Diesel 871 motor. We did a 2-tank WVO system in it and have been successfully running WVO in it for the last 4 years and well over 120K miles. This bus is starting to go south, so we are looking at a 1978 MCI MC-8 with the 8V92TA DDEC II "MOUNTAIN MASTER" motor in it. There has been some mods made (larger radiators and blower wheels, transmission mods, etc...) to make it better in the mountains. After test driving it, those mods are amazing! It will make touring much, much easier going west on I-70 from Denver (our home base) and in such drives as Phoenix to Flagstaff, in the Appalachians, etc... We are seriously considering this bus and will be throwing our current WVO 2-tank conversion system in it if we do buy it.

My question is this: Is this motor good for WVO use? Our 1972 871 has been a champ, no issues. I assume since this slightly newer and larger motor is still pretty hardy and resilient, but want to put it out there to the collective wisdom if there are any red flags in using WVO in it.
Grease Vulture
1972 MCI MC-7 Motorcoach with a 8V-71 motor 9.3L/568ci 318HP
Converted to 2-tank WVO December 2007.
bigtone23

Postby Lighthousebus » Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:20 pm

hmm, I'm not gonna say I've had experience with this motor but I'd be willing to guess it'd hold up just fine... I am curious about your previous bus. How do you clean the veg on the road...? what is your 2 tank system comprised of? Im also in a band and we have a school bus we have been running on WVO for about 4 years. we have a 3 tank system with an on board cleaning system, centrifuge and all. We have an 8.2 detroit in ours which has held up great.
Lighthousebus

Postby bigtone23 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:37 pm

Wow! A three tank system with centrifuge. That sounds really nice, we would have to do a serious redo to make room for it on our bus, but how nice would that be?

I did some looking around and did find some more guys using this motor on WVO. Some in boats, some in buses/trucks. Seems to be doing just fine, as a I assumed they would.

Our current system is quite simple and effective. It was designed and installed by Aaron Stuart, who was one of the "Grease Brothers" who did some spots on MTV years ago about burning WVO. His site is greasenotgas.com and we are in there under "bands"-look for Oakhurst. This was one of his earlier bus conversions, but it has held up really well. We have only changed out a couple lines to a higher quality when the seals/splices were leaking a little after 3 years and about 80K miles.

We don't clean much on the road, but get picky and only choose the best looking oil we find. It takes extra time, but it's worth it. We have a 145G tank with two large sock filters on the fill ports and a heater core spliced off of our cooling system inside the tank with a return loop for the unburned oil from the engine, which also helps heat it up faster. We carefully bucket the oil out of the traps and avoid scooping up any visible particulate. This bucket of oil is first poured through a colander to catch the big particles. Then the oil is poured through the 1 micron sock filters into the tank. As the oil leaves the tank, it goes through a Racor filter to remove the water and more particulate. This then heads to 2 extra fuel filters we installed before the primary fuel filter of the engine. Our mechanic has noticed no issues with the motor, and since we run diesel a little bit to get up to temp and in areas where oil is hard to find, the engine stays clean.

We also store as much reserve oil as we can on board-up to 100G in buckets placed around our tank. This oil is allowed to warm up, settle a bit and allows us to get a better look at more questionable oil we harvest in colder weather before tanking it.

I don't know some of the finer details of our system, but it is quite simple compared to every other system we have seen. We have two manual, hardware store bought valves in the bus to switch between our fuels. No gauges, nothing. Just a big tank, some extra filters and the valves.
Grease Vulture
1972 MCI MC-7 Motorcoach with a 8V-71 motor 9.3L/568ci 318HP
Converted to 2-tank WVO December 2007.
bigtone23

Postby Lighthousebus » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:23 am

Damn, old school. You use buckets...? why not just get a hand pump or something? We have a little collection pump that does 6-10 gallons a min. An 80 gallon "dirty" tank with our centrifuge mounted on top of that with a baffle so there isnt backsplash. Once we centrifuge we push it through a Davco heated bio filter, 25 micron and into a 80 gallon "clean" tank. both tanks we heat up with large heat exchangers tapped into a secondary coolant system our bus had for a heater in the back. from there we pull the clean veg through another davco 10 micron and to our injectors. We use a little electronic glow plug heater right before our injectors for a little heat boost. I usually turn that on for the first 30 min of veg and then switch it off once the whole tank is heated. We decided to heat the whole tank because when we run veg we run long periods of time and we never have a tank in use for more than about a week. Never had any problems with polymerization. we've got an electronic three way switching valve. Pretty different from SunWizards design. I'm new to this site so it's interesting to read about these different systems after doing it myself for so long pretty differently.
Lighthousebus

Return to 2 Tank veggie oil conversion and General discussion