Deciding Which Vehicle, Which Conversion...

If new, go here first. Beginner questions, Forum help, suggestions and more FAQ.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Deciding Which Vehicle, Which Conversion...

Postby Conquest » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:58 pm

I'm trying to plan some things out and I could use the opinion of those more knowledgeable than me.

Sometime in the near future I am going to buy an F250 Crew Cab or, if the right one comes along, an Excursion.

I currently have one car with a conversion. It's an '85 Mercedes 300D with a Lovecraft conversion. I use straight WVO. I've put about 25K miles on it this way without a problem other than it running rough on cold mornings and running like crap when the filter needs changing. It's my (almost) daily driver for my 100 mile per day commute. I know Lovecraft conversions don't have a great reputation around the grease community. I bought the car from my now deceased grandfather whose machine shop made some parts for LC. He had several converted cars and as far as i know they never had any problems.

Certainly money is an issue in both the purchase of the truck and the conversion, although I am willing to spend what needs to be spent to do it right the first time. Saving money is the reason I use WVO in the first place, so how long the system would take to pay for itself is a concern. I don't filter the WVO myself, I buy it by the tote. I live in Southern California so cold weather isn’t a big issue, although there are times in the winter when it’s in the 30’s when I leave for work.

So with that background info, I'd appreciate help deciding the following:

1. What year F250 should I be looking for. I don’t want anything older than 1999. From what I’ve read Ford had problems with the 6.0 especially in 2003, 04, 05 but the issue were worked out by 2006. So I guess I’m looking for a 99-02, 06+ (although anything much newer than 06 would probably be out of my price range).

2. What company makes the best conversion for Fords in this year range with acceptable customer service? I know this is a totalyl subjective question and I don't expect to hear the same answer twice. I’ve read a lot about the different conversion companies and have a hard time making heads or tails of which is best. I’ve also read horror stories about customer service, lead times, etc… really bad stuff that I wouldn’t want to deal with.

I would appreciate any help you guys could give me!
Conquest

Return to Beginners section and FAQ