Gear pump particulate matter tolerances

Collecting, filtering and dewatering of WVO SVO vegetable oil. For Biodiesel producers too.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Gear pump particulate matter tolerances

Postby puresoul108 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:52 pm

I have never had a gear pump before but am thinking of getting one to use to power my Dieselcraft OC-20 centrifuge.
Have any of you all have ever used a gear pump and what type of grit can be tolerated by those gears before something fails/breaks/bends/jams etc and if it does what type of co$t could be associated with any damage due to grit going through those gears?

I am thinking of getting a Oberdorfer N991

Also I want a 12v DC motor for it, NOT a 120v AC motor if any one has one for sale I am in the market (or can tell me a cheap place to buy both of these items *new or used is ok!)

Any other tips are appreciated also

Thanks!
2000 E-350 7.3, cooling mist Water injection 150psi pump & one 250cc injector nozzle, Smith bros chromoly pushrods, Swamp single-shot injectors, about 200,000+ miles on SVO so far...
puresoul108

Postby SunWizard » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:17 pm

The amount of damage or wear depends on how hard the particle is. A rock that is 100 microns does far more damage than a food particle. I use an oberdorfer 991 that I got very used for cheap, and have used it for 4 years with no trouble. I only pre-screen to 200 microns.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby puresoul108 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:46 pm

Do you (or anyone reading this) know where to get this pump (Oberdorfer N991) and a 1/3 Hp 12volt DC motor for cheap (that will couple with that pump???

Any tips would be very appreciated!

On a side note, why not just use a $50ish power steering pump from AutoZone?
2000 E-350 7.3, cooling mist Water injection 150psi pump & one 250cc injector nozzle, Smith bros chromoly pushrods, Swamp single-shot injectors, about 200,000+ miles on SVO so far...
puresoul108

Postby SunWizard » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:09 pm

puresoul108 wrote:Do you (or anyone reading this) know where to get this pump (Oberdorfer N991) and a 1/3 Hp 12volt DC motor for cheap (that will couple with that pump???

ebay is where I got mine for cheap, $27 with a motor connected.
On a side note, why not just use a $50ish power steering pump from AutoZone?

Because those are vane pumps which are not nearly as good as a gear pump since they get stuck and quit working easily, and they aren't designed for the proper flow rate and pressures we need. See my thread here for my adventures with a power steering pump which is what I used at first.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby David » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:27 am

I'm very happy with my Chev gear pump.
I have had it 3 years I think now and only remember 2 stoppages. One was a plastic bag and the otehr was a cloth table napkin.

I was able to get both out by reversing the pump by hand and then pumping backwards. i retrieved the offending items out of the drum and the pump continued on and just spat the chewed up bits out which I caught in subsequent filtering.

I don't have any sort of screen on my pickup. I get the usual crumbs etc and even had a large chicken bone once that I have no idea how it got through the pump intact but I found a lot of bits it just shredded.

I'm using a 24oL tank on the pump for collections atm but in the proces of building a frame to put 2x 205L tanks together and possibly driving the pump with a 500w motor by belt drive to spin it a bit faster and get the flow rate up even higher.
Presently I get around 80L /min which is pretty quick.

This is a Vid of my setup

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8o52BYTEau4

I don't give a damn about what might or could happen until a significant group of people can tell me it HAS happened to them.
Until then, it's just more endless gloom and doom Veg folk law.
David

Return to Vegetable oil Collecting, Filtering and Dewatering