95 dodge 2500 hard start

A description and pics of your SVO WVO Vegetable Oil conversion, help the next person who gets that model.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

95 dodge 2500 hard start

Postby soshea00 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:53 pm

Dodge Ram 2500 1995. Converted with most of Sunwizards principals. The conversion is wonderful and I believe it to be entirely unrelated to my current issue.
This truck always starts great. "Wait to start" light usually on for 10-15 seconds in the morning, but today, only a few seconds and truck wouldn't fire up. I kept trying to cycle the light (thinking I had glow plugs, but now I know otherwise) and it wouldn't stay on for more than a second or two and wouldn't fire up. The starter was cranking great and eventually after just laying into it for 30 seconds she caught and fired up, but I'm not sure what the problem is. It happened all of a sudden. Yesterday there was no problem. Today there is. It was about 65-70 *F this morning. I'd suspect the fuel system or injectors, but my pressure gauge is reading the same as it always has and it seems a bit sudden for the injectors to go out, not to mention that its not smoking and there is no loping or lack of performance while driving. Plus, I just redid all the fuel lines... and the in tank fuel pick up is clean (i repaired the sender 3 months ago and inspected the pick up). So, the odd functioning of the wait to start light makes me think its more related to the heater that is attached to that.......but, all the forum chatter that i've seen states that that heater isn't even used unless its 30 degrees F outside. Yet, if thats the case, then why does my light vary in duration depending on whether its 80 degrees out or 60?
Please weigh in with a beautiful answer.
thanks
steve
soshea00

Postby mike_belben » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:41 am

how did the truck run once you got it started? does it burble or break up when loaded in OD at WOT?

if you pull the 6 bolts that hold the manifold to the head, youll see the heater grid. its very easy to turn the key and then check if its hot but i dont see a reason why youd need it this time of year. just be careful not to get burned or ruin the gasket.

im guessing your shutdown solenoid is hanging if it isnt a lift pump, leaking heater plug or rubber elbow between strainer and liftpump.
mike_belben

Postby soshea00 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:06 am

thanks for the reply. I'm not sure, but it might have been a fluke of an air bubble, cause it started right up this morning and it was a good 10 degrees colder. The wait to start light still isn't staying on like it normally does, but it fired right up. Anybody know what the wait to start light is connected to if the heater doesn't actually activate unless its freezing out?
soshea00

Postby SunWizard » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:12 am

1 heater runs <60F, the 2nd one runs at <35. And the time gets longer. Check for air leaks, that's the most common problem.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby soshea00 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:52 am

thanks again,
that gives me a lot to work with. You guys are awesome!
And Sunwizard, thanks again for the great design on an svo system. I love having everything on the push side of the lift pump. I've been doing everything on the vacuum side for 9 years now and am loving the change.
soshea00

Return to Veggie Oil Conversion Vehicle Database