idling on veggy

A description and pics of your SVO WVO Vegetable Oil conversion, help the next person who gets that model.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

idling on veggy

Postby fishflyguy » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:54 pm

Sunwizard/Host,

My question is what is your opinion on a 97 cummins converted with your design idlingon veggy for extended periods of time? Assuming the engine and coolant is up to proper temp by first driving the truck so all the proper thermodynamics have took place and the coolant is up to proper temp. Is there any concern for idling for say an hour (I am just throwing this number out) on a cool day, will the veggy oil temp stay above 160 deg. If so is there any harm to the engine/pump/ etc. idling on veggy.

Thanks
Hold my beer and watch this.....
fishflyguy

Re: idling on veggy

Postby SunWizard » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:33 pm

I have never tested it. There are problems with deposits from extended idling even on diesel, so I would not do it. Those problems are probably worse on WVO since it has a higher auto-ignition temp it will make more deposits.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Re: idling on veggy

Postby zoochy » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:55 pm

I have a 12V-DC to 120V-AC inverter in my van for running tools. I usually idle the motor while working so that I don’t drain the battery too much. I idle on diesel as my exhaust becomes smoky after a few minutes idling on vege. Smoke = incomplete combustion which over long periods of time can't be a good thing.
91 Toyota Hiace 3L engine w/ a 300W ½” heated fuel line, lift pump, additional 10um fuel filter, and a 2nd diesel tank for starting.
>160,000 km on:
88% canola WVO
11% old gasoline
.6% turpentine
.3% acetone
.1% eye of newt
zoochy

Return to Veggie Oil Conversion Vehicle Database