WVO motorcycle

If new, go here first. Beginner questions, Forum help, suggestions and more FAQ.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

Re: WVO motorcycle

Postby lynn » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:06 am

Thanks so much SW I'll check out the listing you suggested...glad I didn't order the wrong one...I've gone broke on this build from mistakes...what a learning curve this has been for me. I'm also going to order the mechanical pump for the engine and try to get it in there somehow. I'm hoping to put the heat exchanger at the outlet of the engine coolant on top of the engine right under the right tank...I have it wrapped in plastic in the photo to keep dirt out. If I need to put the heat exchanger somewhere else on the bike...like near the transmission will it be o.k. to run the coolant hoses around the engine. I'm concerned about length and that the hoses will end up lower than the radiator...at least the inlet of the radiator...does this matter?

Should I order two of the filters you suggested in your build....or do you think the one I have will work for my diesel side?

The photos were not turned in my browser before I uploaded them. I even tried to turn them 90 degrees and post them and the program left them wrong!.it's a mystery to me what is going on. Have you tried to post any photos lately?

This weekend I'm going to make a drawing of the system for the WVO for your comments and corrections. I working on the fan shroud now...I had to get a puller fan because of lack of space for the forks to turn and it has to go between the front of the engine and the radiator...it is tight there as well.

A friend of mine thinks I should put some kind of air shut off to the air filter in case I get a run away condition---he is worried about water in the fuel....any thoughts?
Thank you--- I couldn't do this without your help...Lynn
lynn

Postby lynn » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:20 am

Hi ...I just ordered that heat exchanger you suggested..it looks great--thanks.

I'm confused..again.....in my system the heat exchanger will be inline with the radiator lines because I'm not running lines anywhere else..right? I'm not running to a cab heater or to a tank..so when you say the heat exchanger is running parallel to the radiator and only getting a portion of the flow...isn't it different on my application?

Thanks...
lynn

Postby SunWizard » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:02 am

lynn wrote:will it be o.k. to run the coolant hoses around the engine. I'm concerned about length and that the hoses will end up lower than the radiator...at least the inlet of the radiator...does this matter?

No.
Should I order two of the filters you suggested in your build....or do you think the one I have will work for my diesel side?

I don't know what you have. I would use smaller ones since your engine is < 1/2 of mine.
The photos were not turned in my browser before I uploaded them. I even tried to turn them 90 degrees and post them and the program left them wrong!.it's a mystery to me what is going on. Have you tried to post any photos lately?

No, I will try a test pic on this post.
A friend of mine thinks I should put some kind of air shut off to the air filter in case I get a run away condition---he is worried about water in the fuel....any thoughts?

Water in fuel couldn't cause a run away. Its caused mostly by crankcase oil getting in the intake, and is rare.
Attachments
voconversion.jpg
voconversion.jpg (55.74 KiB) Viewed 7149 times
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby SunWizard » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:11 am

Test pic above works fine.
lynn wrote:I'm confused..again.....in my system the heat exchanger will be inline with the radiator lines because I'm not running lines anywhere else..right? I'm not running to a cab heater or to a tank..so when you say the heat exchanger is running parallel to the radiator and only getting a portion of the flow...isn't it different on my application?

You run lines however you want. I would do it in parallel, same as any other vehicle. Doesn't matter that you have no cab heater, other than it may be harder to find where a heater would be attached if you had one. Its also the same as any vehicle that you should tee into the coolant line before the thermostat so that there is flow to the FPHE even when the thermostat is closed and the radiator gets no flow.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby lynn » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:11 pm

Dear Sun Wizard,

Here is my proposed schematic for the motorcycle fuel system. Please let me know what you think. First question that occurs to me - I've marked on the diagram two places where I need a T-fitting, but it looks like I might get some WVO into the diesel tank if I don't use a one-way valve between the diesel tank and the tank valve.

The second question is, will I need to heat the veggie filter (i.e. wrap some of the coolant lines around it to warm the oil up enough to flow through to the heat exchanger)?

Third question - how am I going to do all the fuel line size reductions? I'm going to look tomorrow for a smaller WVO filter than the one you specified so that it will fit more easily into my bike.

If you have any critique or advice, please let me know. I'm looking to you as the Chief Engineer on this thing!

Thank you -
Lynn
Attachments
WVO-diagram.gif
WVO-diagram.gif (23.31 KiB) Viewed 7142 times
lynn

Postby SunWizard » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:42 pm

lynn wrote:First question that occurs to me - I've marked on the diagram two places where I need a T-fitting, but it looks like I might get some WVO into the diesel tank if I don't use a one-way valve between the diesel tank and the tank valve.

Looks good on the tee fittings. No one way valve needed, study where the flow goes.
The second question is, will I need to heat the veggie filter (i.e. wrap some of the coolant lines around it to warm the oil up enough to flow through to the heat exchanger)?

Depends on your climate.
Third question - how am I going to do all the fuel line size reductions? I'm going to look tomorrow for a smaller WVO filter than the one you specified so that it will fit more easily into my bike.

Hose fittings are available in almost any size, and use pipe fitting reducers where needed.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby lynn » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:47 am

Thanks so much, SunWizard - I'm going to try to look for filter today and lay out my "plumbing"
lynn

Postby lynn » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:29 am

HI SW. I've been in touch with the people who sell the cimtek filter and the fellow told me that they have a 300 series filter that is smaller than the 200 series...it is 5.5 inches tall but the same diameter as the 200 series...3.5 inches...so it is somewhat smaller. When I told him what I was doing he said that those filters are not rated to withstand any heat..they are intended to filter the oil coming directly from a tank. So I wonder about the heat build up as I run the WVO around and around? No problem?
He also wanted to know if I wanted 30, 10, or 2 micron filters? What do you recommend for my application? I guess my next steps are to learn about how to prep the oil before putting it in my tank.

Thank you for your help,
Lynn
lynn

Postby SunWizard » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:59 am

lynn wrote:So I wonder about the heat build up as I run the WVO around and around? No problem?

They didn't test for temps is what that means. They also didn't test them with WVO. I and others have been using them at 160-180F without a problem but your guess is as good as mine. I keep an eye on my filter pressure drop with a guage, which shows that its working at a glance. Most other filters aren't rated at temp or for WVO.
He also wanted to know if I wanted 30, 10, or 2 micron filters? What do you recommend for my application?

Whatever your engine uses stock, or less. Mine was 10, same as most mechanically injected engines. Electronic injected ones are usually 2.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby lynn » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:21 am

Thank you for the information on the filter heating issue...I'll order that 300 series filter...I suppose I should get steel rather than aluminum so that I don't get a reaction between the aluminum head and brass reduction fittings?

I got the FPHE in the mail and it looks great but....the coolant inlets into the body of the device drop down to 5/8" once past the threaded female openings---please tell me that this won't be a constriction on my cooling system, (but only if it's the truth!) How large are the pipes going into your FPHE from your truck?
Thanks....and have a great day...Lynn
lynn

Postby SunWizard » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:39 am

lynn wrote:I suppose I should get steel rather than aluminum so that I don't get a reaction between the aluminum head and brass reduction fittings?

Yes but its minor.
I got the FPHE in the mail and it looks great but....the coolant inlets into the body of the device drop down to 5/8" once past the threaded female openings---please tell me that this won't be a constriction on my cooling system, (but only if it's the truth!)

No restriction if you plumb it in parallel as I mention above.
How large are the pipes going into your FPHE from your truck?

3/4 pipe thread.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby lynn » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:24 am

Thanks for the reply SunWizard. So what do you use to branch off from the main flow of the radiator...a tee fitting? or something other? Then I guess you use the same fitting to bring the branch together after the FPHE? This is making more sense to me now....I thought all coolant was going straight through in a direct loop. Glad you caught my mistake...thanks again.
lynn

Postby SunWizard » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:29 am

lynn wrote:So what do you use to branch off from the main flow of the radiator...a tee fitting? or something other? Then I guess you use the same fitting to bring the branch together after the FPHE?

Yes and yes. As I explained above you need to find your thermostat and tee in before that, and there may already be a tee fitting where a cab heater would go if you had one (since that engine is probably used on some construction equipment that has a heater.)
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby lynn » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:46 am

This engine was an ebay item...it came out of some kind of mower...like a bush hog...I don't think it had a cab. I'll take a picture of the engine and the thermostat/ radiator hose outlet from the engine. I don't see how I would tee in before that. I'm going to use another camera and see if that helps the rotation of the image problem. I used my I-phone for the first set of photos...I'll post again tonight. Thanks...Lynn

The engine is a D-662 kubota.
lynn

Postby lynn » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:00 pm

Hi Sun Wizard, well I was shocked to see this hose coming up from the water pump....I hadn't noticed it before! Please remember I am an artist not a mechanic! So now I think I understand more what you mean by parallel...I think what you mean is that I should splice into that hose the red arrow is pointing to and put the FPHE between the out from the water pump and the in of the thermostat? I cut that hose, (it was very stuck) and found a 7/16"inch pipe...it is very rusty..problem? In the other photo is the outlet pipe I cast to go directly into the homemade FHPE then into the radiator. But now I suppose this hose will go directly from that outlet into the top of the radiator..right?
You know I would have staked my life that there was nothing else but the outlet coming out from the thermostat...makes me wonder what else is sitting like a snake right in front of me? I've been at this for months now without a break, I'm going to get some fresh eyes on this thing in case I've made some critical mistake I don't see....this has given me pause....
Thanks for sticking with me with this project...L.
Attachments
IMG_5089.jpg
IMG_5089.jpg (181.39 KiB) Viewed 7128 times
IMG_5087.jpg
IMG_5087.jpg (130.75 KiB) Viewed 7128 times
lynn

PreviousNext

Return to Beginners section and FAQ