1996 dodge cummins conversion a-la Sunwizard

A description and pics of your SVO WVO Vegetable Oil conversion, help the next person who gets that model.

Moderators: SunWizard, coachgeo

1996 dodge cummins conversion a-la Sunwizard

Postby beeline » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:20 pm

First of all a very big thank you to Sunwizard and others on this forum. It sure helps to read through other peoples notes, comments and pictures prior to starting one's own project.

I ended up getting a 1996 dodge diesel and have recently converted it to WVO pretty much identical to Sunwizard's conversion, as it made the most if not complete sense. The only changes I made were an additional block valve on the coolant return line and a WVO block valve just upstream of where WVO line tee's into the diesel line prior to entering the IP.

So far the system runs well and other than tightening some fittings no other work was required. I have burned around 600 liters of WVO to date.

One question to Sunwizard: did your tank (RCI brand?) come with JIC-8 male fittings? and if yes, where did you find the JIC-8 male to 3/8 tubing compression fittings? (at least that's what it looks like on your photo)
1996 dodge diesel, 2 tank heated WVO conversion
beeline

Re: 1996 dodge cummins conversion a-la Sunwizard

Postby SunWizard » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:38 pm

beeline wrote:One question to Sunwizard: did your tank (RCI brand?) come with JIC-8 male fittings? and if yes, where did you find the JIC-8 male to 3/8 tubing compression fittings? (at least that's what it looks like on your photo)

Glad to hear its worked good for you. My tank had AN fittings, and for the fuel I got a AN to pipe thread adapter from http://www.summitracing.com/ where I got the tank. For the coolant lines I used a brass pipe thread to compression fitting which was close enough that it threaded on without wrenching very tight and I used silicone to seal the threads. I did this since I wanted a short fitting on top, since when I put my camper on the truck there is limited space for the hoses and fittings above the tank.
YVORMV - Your veg. oil results may vary.
95 Dodge Cummins 4x4 SVO WVO conversion.
81 Mercedes 300D- stock and happy on V80/D20 blend.
Low fossil net zero house- 100% solar power and heat.
SunWizard
Site Admin

Postby beeline » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:16 pm

SunWizard wrote:
beeline wrote:One question to Sunwizard: did your tank (RCI brand?) come with JIC-8 male fittings? and if yes, where did you find the JIC-8 male to 3/8 tubing compression fittings? (at least that's what it looks like on your photo)

Glad to hear its worked good for you. My tank had AN fittings, and for the fuel I got a AN to pipe thread adapter from http://www.summitracing.com/ where I got the tank. For the coolant lines I used a brass pipe thread to compression fitting which was close enough that it threaded on without wrenching very tight and I used silicone to seal the threads. I did this since I wanted a short fitting on top, since when I put my camper on the truck there is limited space for the hoses and fittings above the tank.

JIC-8 and AN-8 is supposed to be the same, they explained to me....(?) I went with two fittings for the coolant lines and yes, I've got a small issue with the camper, but by adding an extra sheet of plywood before I put the camper on it becomes a non issue.
1996 dodge diesel, 2 tank heated WVO conversion
beeline

Postby contesta » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:55 pm

Hey man, thanks a bunch for your posts. Have a few questions for ya.

I was wondering what parts are different then the parts list listed by SunWizard (besides the AUX pump and the electronic 3-way valve)???
contesta

Return to Veggie Oil Conversion Vehicle Database